biology or cultural for sexual differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is also a quite a bit long story, but I definitely need your help.
I think sexual differences are probably caused by the combination of both cultural influences and biological differences. For example, men's physical strength comes from their inborn power and also it results in the conception that men should be able to carry heavy thing than women in social behaviors.But how can the two factors, cultural influences and biological differences interact with each other? I can't get it. The two can influence sexual differences but not the two for each other I guess.

ex)Some people are convinced that any significant differences between men and women are entirely or overwhelminly due to cultural influences - the way we treat girls and boys, and men's dominance of women in society. Others are convinced that any significant differences are entirely or overwhelmingly due to biology: the physical facts of female and male bodies, hormones, and reproductive functions. But many problems are caused by framing the questions as a polarization. By posing the question as either-or, we reinforce a false assumption that biological and cultural factors are separable. It prevents us from exploring the interaction of two factors and understand their relationship.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This is also a quite a bit long story, but I definitely need your help.
I think sexual differences are probably caused by the combination of both cultural influences and biological differences. For example, men's physical strength comes from their inborn power and also it results in the conception that men should be able to carry heavy thing than women in social behaviors.But how can the two factors, cultural influences and biological differences interact with each other? I can't get it. The two can influence sexual differences but not the two for each other I guess.

ex)Some people are convinced that any significant differences between men and women are entirely or overwhelmingly due to cultural influences - the way we treat girls and boys, and men's dominance of women in society. Others are convinced that any significant differences are entirely or overwhelmingly due to biology: the physical facts of female and male bodies, hormones, and reproductive functions. But many problems are caused by framing the questions as a polarization. By posing the question as either-or, we reinforce a false assumption that biological and cultural factors are separable. It prevents us from exploring the interaction of two factors and understand their relationship.

What is your question?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This is a forum for discussing English language and grammar not gender studies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is a forum for discussing English language and grammar not gender studies.

I know, but I was wondering if someone could help me with the answer even if here is oriented toward that direction. Maybe someone can offer a common sense idea. I couldn't get the answer even through a lot of researches on internet.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It prevents us from exploring the interaction of two factors and understand their relationship.
You could consider whether these two factors work independently of each other in producing the organism. That is, they both have an influence, but they don't strictly interact. This is a language point, because it deals with the definition of 'interact'.
But otherwise, freezeframe is right about this not being an English question.

Status
Not open for further replies.