Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Hello!

What's the difference between a "kitchen cabinet" and "kitchen cupboard", please?

Thank you
Will

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello!

What's the difference between a "kitchen cabinet" and "kitchen cupboard", please?

Thank you
Will
There is no difference.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
A cabinet is free-standing and can be moved.

A cupboard is built-in or fixed to the wall.

Rover

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi Will17

It's just my preference, but:

I tend to use "cupboard" for "a piece of furniture or a recessed area of a room, with a door concealing storage space" as per cupboard - definition of cupboard by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

I would tend to use "cabinet" for "a piece of furniture containing [i.e. which includes] shelves, cupboards, [and/]or drawers for storage or display" as per cabinet - definition of cabinet by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

i.e. If I can see [at least some of] the contents, I would regard it as a cabinet (as in "display cabinet"). A "display cupboard" wouldn't work for me.

Hope this helps
R21

PS As an example, I have a cabinet in my dining room. The lower section contains cupboards for crockery and drawers for cutlery etc. The upper section has glass shelves and glass panelled doors and is used as a display cabinet.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think that "cabinets" refers to any of the built-in storage areas in a kitchen. But "cupboard" would refer only to the ones that are above the counter, or similarly elevated. Where you would store cups and plates. The lower cabinets, where you would store pots and pans, I would not call "cupboards."

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Clearly a lot of regional variation for this one, so I can only speak from my own experience. Generally I concur with Route21.
To me a cabinet is usually free-standing, sometimes with a glass front and sides and would typically be used to display items as in a "china cabinet" and/or hold bottles of wine and spirits etc, a "drinks/liquor cabinet".
All the enclosed shelving units that you'd find in a kitchen, top and bottom, are usually called cupboards in everyday speech. I sense that cabinet is preferred in the trade and may be coming in but I almost never hear it used with that sense in people's homes.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I can only add that if this thread sparks a flaming war over cupboards and cabinets, that would be epic. :-D

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
I can only add that if this thread sparks a flaming war over cupboards and cabinets, that would be epic.

... closet warmongers!

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand

To be fair, I believe market forces may play a significant role in this situation.
Would they be able to sell more units, at a higher price, if they called them "cabinets" than they would if they called them "cupboards"? - probably!

Regards
R21

Status
Not open for further replies.