Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Here are some more points I've got strong doubts about. Will you, please, help me to make the right choice?

1) These buildings give the idea of an architecture style of that time.
Is everything correct in the sentence?

2) district vs. area
What is preferable to name residential places in a city?

3) in different time/ in different times
Which is more correct to say? Honestly, I myself doubt if the phrase is all right.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Here are some more points I've got strong doubts about. Will you, please, help me to make the right choice?

1) These buildings give the idea of an [STRIKE]architecture[/STRIKE] architectural style of that time.
Is everything correct in the sentence? Now it is.

2) district vs. area
What is preferable to name residential places in a city? Of the two, district is better. Neighborhood would be best.

3) in a different time/ in different times
Which is more correct to say? Honestly, I myself doubt if the phrase is all right.
In #3, both are correct depending on context. At a different time is also correct. Context is vital. Can you provide any?

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Sure. In different times (as I initially wrote) it (the cathedral) was attended by the famous historical personalities such as...

Concerning #2. Are you sure about neighbourhood? What I mean is an area which is administratively divided by a city authorities and has its council.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Concerning #2. Are you sure about neighbourhood? What I mean is an area which is administratively divided by a city authorities and has its council.
My experience has been only in cities that are governed centrally. In New York City there are 5 boroughs. Each one has a Borough President, but they have no power whatsoever; all decisions are made by the City Council and the Mayor. Within each borough are many neighborhoods which have community boards. These boards are merely advisory in nature.
The city in Brazil in which I now live has a similar structure. It is divided into several administrative zones: south, north, northeast, etc. Within each zone are many bairros (neighborhoods or areas) without local councils; all are governed from "City Hall."

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
My experience has been only in cities that are governed centrally. In New York City there are 5 boroughs. Each one has a Borough President, but they have no power whatsoever; all decisions are made by the City Council and the Mayor. Within each borough are many neighborhoods which have community boards. These boards are merely advisory in nature.
The city in Brazil in which I now live has a similar structure. It is divided into several administrative zones: south, north, northeast, etc. Within each zone are many bairros (neighborhoods or areas) without local councils; all are governed from "City Hall."

Actually, the same thing is in my city. It's just a little bit hard for me to talk in the lanquage of various administrative notions and try to find the right word for them in English.

Thank you a lot for your help and sharing your experience with me. The only thing I would still like to make more exact it the expression 'in different times': Is it all right in the context I've given above?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

1) These buildings give the idea of an architecture style of that time.
Is everything correct in the sentence?

2) district vs. area
What is preferable to name residential places in a city?

3) in different time/ in different times

I would change the article in 1 and rephrase it a bit.

These buildings are an example of the architectural style of that time. (if they indeed are an example)

If for 2 you want to say район, the standard translation is district.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Sure. In different times (as I initially wrote) it (the cathedral) was attended by the famous historical personalities such as...

Both of your suggestions sound awkward here. Are you trying to say something like "Throughout its history, it has been attended by famous historical figures such as...."

EDIT: historical collocates with figure

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Oh, freezeframe, I love your posts! THANK you. Please, have a look at my thread 'Reflecting on "The"'. I believe you can really explain to me everything I asked about in there.
p.s. It concerns articles, which you've changed in my examples.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Oh, freezeframe, I love your posts! THANK you. Please, have a look at my thread 'Reflecting on "The"'. I believe you can really explain to me everything I asked about in there.
p.s. It concerns articles, which you've changed in my examples.

LOL it's nice to have a fan

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
"...an architectural style of that time" makes sense, assuming that there was more than one style popular in that period.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"...an architectural style of that time" makes sense, assuming that there was more than one style popular in that period.

True. In general, however, architectural styles are fairly well periodized. The choice would depend on context.

Status
Not open for further replies.