Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Jordan
Current Location
Jordan
Peace upon you all...
I am so happy because I have returned to this forum after a long-time Absence.

Although I still try to improve my English...there is one problem I cant avoid...
A listening...

When I watch an English program on TV or on Youtube website I cant understand it without the written translate...
Maybe I can understand 40% only!

So I want you to help me please and give me an EFFECTIVE solution

Waiting replying.....

the creative

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Jordan
Current Location
Jordan
please help me>>>>

Brian1988

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello and Welcome Back

Since I've been using English TV programs for a long time in order to improve my listening skills and have some experience, so i can give you a few Effective recommendations. I encourage you to focus on English news programs, documentary shows and cartoons. It may seem boring but they'll substantially enhance your listening skills since they speak a very perfect, clear and less slangy English and you'll be able to detect every single word. As you become more capable of hearing the words clearly, you would challenge yourself with more slangy TV programs like movies and series.
Also one of the most effective ways I've ever used to enhance my listening skills is to listen to a music while reading its lyrics.
As the last point, try to concentrate on what you're hearing. I noticed that when i chose an interesting TV program that draws my attention, i usually have a clear understanding of the discussion topic.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Also, remember that if you understand 40% today, then you're not going to suddenly jump and understand 85%- it's a gradual process and the more you do, the easier it will become, but it will take time. Try listening to various things about a similar subject, which will reduce some of the burden of unfamiliar words and see if that helps. Take, for example, a news story and try to find a few reports on it. After a couple, you'll be familiar with the details, names and much of the new vocabulary- then see what your comprehension is.

Status
Not open for further replies.