Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
The total cost of my four-year PhD study will be approximately $61,558 including $4819.5 of tuition fees, $570.01 of student fee, $10000 of room and board per academic year.

Hey, what do you think of the above sentence? Does it have any grammatical problems? If yes, could you please point them out? Thank you very much!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The total cost of my four-year PhD course will be approximately $61,558, made up of $4,819.50 for tuition fees, $570.01 for student fees and $10,000 for room and board per academic year.

If you'd put $61,558.04, you could omit approximately.

Rover

wang.cupid

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
If you'd put $61,558.04, you could omit approximately.

Rover

Thank you very much, Rover. I rewrote my sentence in order to make it much clearer. Of course, I got some very nice ideas from your suggestions.

The four-year cost of my PhD program will total approximately $61,558.00. To be specific, it will be approximately $15,389.50 per academic year, made up of $4,819.50 for tuition fees, $570.00 for student fee, $10,000.00 for room and board.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Omit approximately. There is nothing approximate in a dollar value that shows the pennies. Is also illogical to assume your living costs will be 10,000.00.

But do you see why it's inconsistent to include student fees to the penny and living expenses as such an approximation?

A better chiuce would be to round eveything to the nearest $100 and keep approximate.

Last edited:

wang.cupid

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Canada
Is also illogical to assume your living costs will be 10,000.00.

Thanks, Barb_D.

Do you think the living costs is lower than average? Actually I do not know how much it will be, so it is only a guess.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, I mean the odds of it coming out to exactly 10,000 on the nose, to the penny, is HIGHLY unlikely.

About $10,000 a year -- okay.
It will cost me $10,000.00 a year -- so unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.