Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"How can i stick to being done with him for good? controlling and abusive...?"

Is this sentence OK? Can I say things like "I'm being done writing a report."? "I'm being done with...."? Would that mean I'm super close to being done writing or just finishing writing?

Last edited:

Karima-19

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
"How can I stick to being done with him for good? controlling and abusive...?"

Not a teacher

Is this sentence OK? Can I say things like "I'm being done writing a report."? "I'm being done with...."? Would that mean I'm superclose to being done writing or just finishing writing?
An odd sentence! The meaning is a little indirect, but at least I can understand that "Your report is being done" and "you have finshed doing it"

Last edited:

Karima-19

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
"How can I stick to being done with him for good? controlling and abusive...?"

Is this sentence OK? Can I say things like "I'm being done writing a report."? "I'm being done with...."? Would that mean I'm superclose to being done writing or just finishing writing?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"How can i stick to being done with him for good? controlling and abusive...?"

Is this sentence OK? Can I say things like "I'm being done writing a report."? "I'm being done with...."? Would that mean I'm super close to being done writing or just finishing writing?

The original sentence is about a person's feelings about her romantic relationship. She is "done" with her partner, meaning she has realized he is no good for her and she wants nothing to do with him in the future. However, love being what it is, it is possible that they may reunite at some time.

So she is asking how she can be sure that she remains "done" with him and does not reunite.

This is a very particular case where "done" does not necessarily mean a completed action. She is "done" as an emotional state and a determination, but not necessarily as an accomplished fact. Time will tell.

Your attempts to use "being done" are unnatural and confusing. If you are finished writing your report, then say "I'm done writing my report." If you are almost finished, then say "I'm almost done..."

You can't say you are "being done" because "done" is a completed action and "being" indicates a continuing state.

Status
Not open for further replies.