• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Are these words possible in this context?

I had to do an exercise, that is, filling each blank with one suitable word. The words I wrote in bold types are those I had put in it, those in italic types are the only ones the book suggested as correct.
    Do you think, teachers and native, my words, that is those in bold types, are not possible in this article?

This animal is now concentrated in Alaska and Canada where it is being treated (killed/hunted) in a way that threatens to die (wipe)it out entirely, according to the Environmental Investigation Agency. They say the British Columbia Government looks after (on) grizzlies as a legitimate hunting quarry, despite their not having a perfect (clear/detailed) knowledge of how many there are in the province.This may be folly in the extreme as there is a danger that some (the) species may be dying out faster than it can reproduce.

Thanks so much for your explanation.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Are these words possible in this context?

Quote Originally Posted by dilodi83 View Post
    I had to do an exercise, that is, filling each blank with one suitable word. The words I wrote in bold types are those I had put in it, those in italic types are the only ones the book suggested as correct.
    Do you think, teachers and native, my words, that is those in bold types, are not possible in this article?

This animal is now concentrated in Alaska and Canada where it is being treated (killed/hunted) in a way that threatens to die (wipe)it out entirely, according to the Environmental Investigation Agency. They say the British Columbia Government looks after (on) grizzlies as a legitimate hunting quarry, despite their not having a perfect (clear/detailed) knowledge of how many there are in the province.This may be folly in the extreme as there is a danger that some (the) species may be dying out faster than it can reproduce.

Thanks so much for your explanation.
    Your words are not possible.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

could you explain why, please? I'd like to understand why my words are incorrect...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

This animal is now concentrated in Alaska and Canada where it is being (1) treated (killed/hunted) in a way that threatens to (2) die (wipe)it out entirely, according to the Environmental Investigation Agency. They say the British Columbia Government looks (3) after (on) grizzlies as a legitimate hunting quarry, despite their not having a (4) perfect (clear/detailed) knowledge of how many there are in the province.This may be folly in the extreme as there is a danger that (5) some (the) species may be dying out faster than it can reproduce.
    Your answers for numbers 1 and 5 show a misunderstanding of the context of the article. Treating is possible as a collocation, but if you read ahead bears are described as legitimate hunting quarry, so they are not being treated or cared for at all. Species is a singular noun, it is referred to later in the sentence as it, so you can't use some. And why would the writer introduce other species in the conclusion after talking exclusively about grizzlies?

2 and 4 are incorrect collocations. To die something out is not an English expression and perfect knowledge is only used as an abstract philosophical concept. To look after is a correct phrasal verb, but it makes no sense to say that the government cares for bears by approving their destruction.

In exercises like these, always read the entire text first before filling the gaps. Context and clues later in the article will help you choose the correct answers.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

Thanks so much for your help. I have only another question about "to wipe out and to die out", I thought they had the same meaning in this context and I was wrong, but could substitute to "wipe out" with "to kill off"?

Thanks for the answer.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Thanks so much for your help. I have only another question about "to wipe out and to die out", I thought they had the same meaning in this context and I was wrong, but could I substitute to "wipe out" with "to kill off"?
    Yes