Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello! Could anyone help me understand the difference between the words view and outlook, and explain me why the option outlook is incorrect in the sentence The a) outlook/ b) sight/ c) view from our hotel window was absolutely breathtaking. I’ve run across this sentence in a number of books and each of them says that view is the only possible answer in this context. There is no doubt that view is a correct option, but why outlook can’t be used in this context? I’ve come upon a pretty similar sentence in the Cambridge dictionary [From the top of the tower, the outlook over the city was breathtaking.]; in addition to this, the Internet search provided me with a great number of “results” for the noun outlook used in the phrase - from the window … . For instance, ---The outlook from the tower is spectacular in all directions…; ---The outlook from the window shows the blank, empty wall of a University building erected in the 1890s. ; ---This room does not have an outlook from the window.; --- Looking for an outlook view from your room?, etc. So what’s the difference between these synonyms (and these sentences?)

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello! Could anyone help me understand the difference between the words view and outlook, and explain me why the option outlook is incorrect in the sentence The a) outlook/ b) sight/ c) view from our hotel window was absolutely breathtaking. I’ve run across this sentence in a number of books and each of them says that view is the only possible answer in this context. There is no doubt that view is a correct option, but why outlook can’t be used in this context? I’ve come upon a pretty similar sentence in the Cambridge dictionary [From the top of the tower, the outlook over the city was breathtaking.]; in addition to this, the Internet search provided me with a great number of “results” for the noun outlook used in the phrase - from the window … . For instance, ---The outlook from the tower is spectacular in all directions…; ---The outlook from the window shows the blank, empty wall of a University building erected in the 1890s. ; ---This room does not have an outlook from the window.; --- Looking for an outlook view from your room?, etc. So what’s the difference between these synonyms (and these sentences?)

This could be some regional difference (or maybe it's just me). These read strange to me:

This room does not have an outlook from the window.; --- Looking for an outlook view from your room?

Googling them brings up Australian hotel websites.

If you say outlook for view, I think of a high place, like a tower or a cliff from which you can see far and wide, like in your example the outlook is "over the city".I'm curious to see what others say.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think I would use "outlook" in a literal manner at all. I only use it to mean "prospects" or "prognostication." Like "The outlook for the Pirates to escape their 19th losing season is bleak."

It can also be used to describe someone's attitude or mental state. Like having a positive outlook on life.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Googling them brings up Australian hotel websites. If you say outlook for view, I think of a high place, like a tower or a cliff from which you can see far and wide, like in your example the outlook is "over the city". I'm curious to see what others say.

Australian real estate agents are fond of the "outlook" in their advertising – a quick search gives:
"Elevated on a generous landscaped block with a northerly outlook towards towering parkland".
"Facing north with a delightful leafy outlook..."
"A tranquil parkland outlook directly over to the..."
But even in that sector I think it's mostly in the sense that SD describes, the future outlook for the property business etc.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.