Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I am new to this forum and appreciate being able to ask the following grammatical question.

In the sentence:

No building, trailer, garage, storage building or structure shall be placed upon any lot for storage or other purposes and no above-ground pools shall be placed on any lot without the express written consent of the board.

Am I correct that this is a complex sentence? If so, is my understanding correct that this sentence states that only an above-ground pools require written consent, while the other items listed are not permitted at all?

Thank you very much.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

I am new to this forum and appreciate being able to ask the following grammatical question.

In the sentence:

No building, trailer, garage, storage building or structure shall be placed upon any lot for storage or other purposes and no above-ground pools shall be placed on any lot without the express written consent of the board.

Am I correct that this is a complex sentence? If so, is my understanding correct that this sentence states that only an above-ground pools require written consent, while the other items listed are not permitted at all?

Thank you very much.
Does it have dependent clauses in it? What are the subordinating conjunctions?
Sentences:  Simple, Compound, and Complex

It's ambiguous. My understanding would be that storage facilities are permitted but require the board's consent. (But this is so even though you are not correct about it being a complex sentence. I assume you didn't mean to make the answer to your second sentence dependent on the answer to the first. If you did, please ignore this paragraph) :)

VivianA19

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you Raymott for your answer. I'm sorry, I should have said I think this is a compound sentence. The sentence has two independent clauses, correct? If so, each independent clause stands alone and has a complete thought.

So, I thought only swimming pools require written consent? Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you Raymott for your answer. I'm sorry, I should have said I think this is a compound sentence. The sentence has two independent clauses, correct? If so, each independent clause stands alone and has a complete thought.

So, I thought only swimming pools require written consent? Thank you.
Yes, it's a compound sentence.
My understanding is that "without the written consent of the board" applies to both of the preceding clauses. However, as I say, the sentence is ambiguous, and my reading is based only on my experience of what such a sentence would usually mean - not on any superior understanding of its grammar. Since the sentence is ambiguous, anyone's guess about its intent could be wrong.

VivianA19

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much Raymott for giving your time to answer grammatical questions on this forum. :)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Status
Not open for further replies.