• Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Switzerland
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

A website or software for practice english

Hi All,

I am from a non English background country and working in Australia as an IT professional. English is a big road block for my career, specially when writing complex sentences . I am looking for a website where I can find a lots of practice questions with answers. It should cover all area of the English grammar. Please help me on this.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Switzerland

Re: A website or software for practice english

Quote Originally Posted by english_learn View Post
    Hi All,

I am from a non English background country and working in Australia as an IT professional. English is a big road block for my career, specially when writing complex sentences . I am looking for a website where I can find a lots of practice questions with answers. It should cover all area of the English grammar. Please help me on this.
    The majority of free websites are aimed at intermediate and below, and if you're already working in Australia I assume you're above that level. I can't think of any free resources which meet your criteria. The best "all encompassing" advanced grammar book I can recommend is Grammar for CAE and Proficiency from Cambridge Publishing. It's quite thorough, well-organised, comes with 2 CDs of listening material and it's very good value.

The best thing you can do is read, read, read (I imagine you do this already) to increase your language exposure. This will help you to know "what just sounds right" and is honestly the way native speakers learned the language. Reading in conjunction with a grammar book should put you on the right path.

There aren't any exercises here but these websites might be able to help you with your writing:
    Guide to Grammar and Writing
    The Purdue OWL: General Writing

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

You can try this video series- Video Aided Instruction :: English Grammar DVD Series-it helped me a lot with my grammar. Best way is to get a book and take down notes while watching it.

Vocabulary.com : Vocabulary.com -this site helps you build your vocabulary, it is -unique and useful! I learnt quite a lot of words from this site.

You can use this book as a second reference on grammar(great book in my opinion) Amazon.com: Grammatically Correct (text only) 2nd(Second) edition by A. Stilman: A. Stilman: Books
    Last edited by kazewolf; 18-Apr-2011 at 08:54.

2. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Swedish
      • Home Country:
      • Sweden
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Hi,

Here is a software tool I use a lot - SmartESLTool. It is pretty good when you're uncertain of how to use words in a sentence. I also have a non English background and that tool has helped me quite a bit.