Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Khosro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 530
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #1

    "handling" as a technical terms

    Hello everybody!

    My question is particularly about "handling". My friends and I are busy with a persian text about cranes. It's about issuing ceretificates for cranes and similar vehicles and equipment. We were wondering if it is proper to put "handling and lifting eqiupments" in the title. We are not sure about "handling". In Longman dictionary there are two definitions for handling. The first has nothing to do with picking up objects and ... but the second one mentions picking up things by your hand. Is it possible to use this verb for equipment which pick up objects?

    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Khosro; 18-Apr-2011 at 14:28.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 2,944
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2

    Re: "handling" as a technical terms

    Only you can decide if your equipment handles the stock or simply lifts it.

    The title would be Handling and Lifting Equipment
    (no S on the end)

  2. Khosro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 530
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #3

    Re: "handling" as a technical terms

    Quote Originally Posted by susiedqq View Post
    Only you can decide if your equipment handles the stock or simply lifts it.

    The title would be Handling and Lifting Equipment
    (no S on the end)
    Thank you.

    1- So you mean that it is possible to use the verb "handle" in this sense for equipment.
    2- "simply lifting"? So you mean that lifting alone doesn't include (for example) horizental displacement of objects on the air?

  3. freezeframe's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 2,113
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4

    Re: "handling" as a technical terms

    ***I have absolutely no knowledge about heavy machinery of any kind.***

    Handling makes me think of just processing and managing things or moving them around (like in "shipping and handling").

    I can't think of any meaning of handle (verb) that involves specifically picking something up. Which dictionary did you consult?

  4. Khosro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 530
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #5

    Re: "handling" as a technical terms

    Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    ***I have absolutely no knowledge about heavy machinery of any kind.***

    Handling makes me think of just processing and managing things or moving them around (like in "shipping and handling").

    I can't think of any meaning of handle (verb) that involves specifically picking something up. Which dictionary did you consult?
    Just Longman so far.

    If it means "moving them around" then I guess "handling" is good enough.

    Any other idea?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 21,500
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6

    Re: "handling" as a technical terms

    Any other idea?
    Moving and Lifting Equipment

    Rover

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2008
    • Posts: 2,944
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #7

    Re: "handling" as a technical terms

    Handling Equipment

    Here, the word handling is NOT a verb.

    It is an adjective describing what kind of equipment you are talking about.

    Handling equipment could describe a device that could pour, flip, stack, select, sort, move, swing, drill, etc. - any kind of movement where a task is done (other than just lifting it up)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 191
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #8

    Re: "handling" as a technical terms

    Hi, I am not an English teacher, but I am an electrical engineer. "Materials handling equipment" is a very common term. It can refer to cranes, forklifts and lift trucks. It can also refer to heavy equipment like dump trucks and front end loaders as well as to conveyor belts and automated or robotic handling systems.

  5. Khosro's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 530
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #9

    Re: "handling" as a technical terms

    Quote Originally Posted by luschen View Post
    Hi, I am not an English teacher, but I am an electrical engineer. "Materials handling equipment" is a very common term. It can refer to cranes, forklifts and lift trucks. It can also refer to heavy equipment like dump trucks and front end loaders as well as to conveyor belts and automated or robotic handling systems.
    So a term like "materials handling/lifting equipment" sounds reasonable, right? Someone suggested that we omit the "materials handling" part because the lifting part covers that area too, but I guess he was not right about this.

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 23,270
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #10

    Re: "handling" as a technical terms

    Quote Originally Posted by Khosro View Post
    So a term like "materials handling/lifting equipment" sounds reasonable, right? Someone suggested that we omit the "materials handling" part because the lifting part covers that area too, but I guess he was not right about this.
    It's not a matter of people being right or wrong. The answer depends on your requirements. However, luchen's answer seems to be the most authoritative. Your above amendment would seem to be as good as anything, if you feel 'lifting' needs to be added for local understanding.

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] How to explain in technical terms
    By rayz26 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Jul-2010, 05:08
  2. "Future Work" v.s. "Recommendations" - a technical writing question
    By qmqmqm in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-Apr-2009, 17:02
  3. technical terms
    By Hodgepodge in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Jan-2008, 01:40
  4. technical terms
    By cirs in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28-May-2007, 15:33
  5. Access to dictionaries specializing in technical terms
    By twostep in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Aug-2004, 23:47

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •