• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

defend an allegation

Dear all,

Can you help me understand the meaning of the highlited part in following sentence:

[It was a long-term training partnership that had mutual benefit for the two runners, though three years later, Holmes and Mutola were forced to defend allegations that they had colluded, after a gold-silver finish in the World Championships in Paris.]

Thanks a lot.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: defend an allegation

Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    Dear all,

Can you help me understand the meaning of the highlited part in following sentence:

[It was a long-term training partnership that had mutual benefit for the two runners, though three years later, Holmes and Mutola were forced to defend allegations that they had colluded, after a gold-silver finish in the World Championships in Paris.]

Thanks a lot.
    Which part of it is unclear to you? I assume you looked up the words that are unfamiliar to you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    Which part of it is unclear to you? I assume you looked up the words that are unfamiliar to you.
    The structure. It's not about the words. "defend allegation", "finish" I don't know if they have quarreled!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Dear all,

Thanks a lot.
    I think your difficulty arises from the fact that it's rather sloppy writing. Those two athletes were not defending an allegation; they had not made an allegation.

They were defending themselves against allegations made against them. People in the media had said that they ran as a team, to make sure that they came first and second in that race; that was the allegation, and they just said 'we didn't'.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I think your difficulty arises from the fact that it's rather sloppy writing. Those two athletes were not defending an allegation; they had not made an allegation.

They were defending themselves against allegations made against them. People in the media had said that they ran as a team, to make sure that they came first and second in that race; that was the allegation, and they just said 'we didn't'.

b
    I'm REALLY so grateful. It's crystal clear now.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post

b
    If they were fast enough to finish first and second, how is that some sort of collusion?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

I'm REALLY so grateful. It's crystal clear now.
    But uou know the structure is not very clear,and it need explaantion when translating.. May be I'm stupid but I found it difficult to link bet. "collusion" and their both wining gold and silver... This has nothing to do with that... you need some time to get it how people came up with that!!!!! It's very far from mind and not a traditional accusation. I think that's why it was difficult for me

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    If they were fast enough to finish first and second, how is that some sort of collusion?
    I've sent my last post just a second before your wondering about the same thing,

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    She continued her successes in the 2001 season, grabbing the world title in Edmonton and again in 2003 in Paris. It was widely felt that Mutola ran tactically during the 2003 race by setting a slow pace in order to aid her training partner Kelly Holmes.

Last year the pair finished first and second in the 800m at the world championships in Paris, amid allegations that Mutola, who took gold, had balked rivals to help her friend. Holmes denied there had been any collusion, and took exception to suggestions that the relationship was anything other than platonic.

From: The Guardian profile: Kelly Holmes | UK news | The Guardian

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

But uou know the structure is not very clear,and it need explaantion when translating.. May be I'm stupid but I found it difficult to link bet. "collusion" and their both wining gold and silver... This has nothing to do with that... you need some time to get it how people came up with that!!!!! It's very far from mind and not a traditional accusation. I think that's why it was difficult for me
    When I used the term 'running as a team', that is what the piece means by 'collusion'. On the training field they were alleged to have this sort of conversation:

MM OK, how are we going to approach this race?
    KH Well, we sure want to come first and second.
    MM Right. At the gun, you go off fast, to run the legs out of the rest. I'll hang back. Then, on the back straight I'll take them all; then you can have a bit of a rest, slipstreaming me for the last 300m.
    KH Hmm... Why not do it the other way round? ...[etc]

Legal note: Of course I have no reason to think there was a conversation like this. It is just an example of the alleged collusion.

I'm not a middle-distance runner and don't know all the tactical possibilities, but there are lots of opportunities for tactical running so that two people get an unfair advantage in what is supposed to be a race between individuals.

b

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast