• Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

• Post Thanks / Like

the

Why don't we use "the" before "Hindu temples" but we use "the" before "Hindu religion?
    Visitors to India may be surprise to see cows in Hindu temples. Cows are important in the Hindu religion and allowed to go where they want.
    Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: the

Quote Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
    Why don't we use "the" before "Hindu temples" but we use "the" before "Hindu religion?
    Visitors to India may be surprised to see cows in Hindu temples [This gives me the impression that there are several types of Hindu temples, and are therefore treated as a general/undetermined term; since it is in the plural, no article is needed.] Cows are important in the Hindu religion and allowed to go where they want. [This sounds like the writer feels there's ONLY ONE Hindu religion (I'm not saying anything for or against this opinion, being an ignorant myself), therefore referred to as "the" religion in the passage. Also, since I guess this is an extract from a larger text, maybe the Huindu religion has been mentioned before, thus becoming a "known" subject and needing the "the"]
    Thanks
    Hope it helps.

Greetings

Charliedeut