Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
My mother took off the cap. Her thick, beautifu hair fell all about her face.

I want to know why ALL ABOUT has been used here. Why " fell on her face" has not been used?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

I want to know why ALL ABOUT has been used here. Why " fell on her face" has not been used?
The author is trying to give the impression that her hair has some 'life' in it. It doesn't just fall straight down like a mop. It twists and curls and curves all around her face before settling into position.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Consider her hair before she stuffed it all up under her cap.

It wouldn't be on her face then, would it? It would be above and on either side of it. In other words about her face.

Rover

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I can see a difference between Raymott's answer and Rover's. It seems that Raymott explained it artistically and Rover explained it scientifically, doesn't it? As Raymott said, I think we can use "on her face" but it is not exactly what the author wants to express, but it is fine in some other cases, and as Rover said, I think we mustn't use "on her face" instead, it may not be used in any cases. Could you please give me some comments?
Thank you so much!

Roselin

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

So here , about has been used as around?

can I say " her thick, beautiful hair fell all around her face" ?

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Nice! I also want to know that! But maybe our teachers are too busy to review and check this thread again. Accept it as a usual thing!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Can I say " her thick, beautiful hair fell all around her face" ?

Yes.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Nice! I also want to know that! But maybe our teachers are too busy to review and check this thread again. Accept it as a usual thing!
I'm sorry if you've found that teachers don't follow up the threads they've replied to. I don't think you'll find this to be the case in threads I've responded to.
Do you really want to assert that this is the usual thing? I think you'd lose the debate.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I'm sorry if you've found that teachers don't follow up the threads they've replied to. I don't think you'll find this to be the case in threads I've responded to.
Do you really want to assert that this is the usual thing? I think you'd lose the debate.

I'm sorry I should have said "some teachers" may not include you. I have had a long time with this forum and I have had some questions without any replies, some of these ended the threads ever and the others were posted somewhere in the threads but no one cared. Even right in this thread, you can see my question in the post #4, it still lies there. I know such those cases may happen accidentally, so I said I accept it.
Thank you!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm sorry I should have said "some teachers" may not include you. I have had a long time with this forum and I have had some questions without any replies, some of these ended the threads ever and the others were posted somewhere in the threads but no one cared. Even right in this thread, you can see my question in the post #4, it still lies there. I know such those cases may happen accidentally, so I said I accept it.
Thank you!

Maybe it's the way you ask followup questions? You didn't address your question "Could you please give some comments?" to anyone specific.
Both Rover and I had given comments, which you obviously understood, so I assumed you wanted other posters to give opinions - though what on, I couldn't guess. Maybe you need to nominate a person who has already answered and ask them specifically what you are unsure about.

Yes, sometimes teachers occasionally overlook a followup question in a reply. We've all done that occasionally. It's not the norm though; and students shouldn't expect it to be.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
. . .maybe our teachers are too busy to review and check this thread again. Accept it as a usual thing!

We all have a life beyond this forum, so it is a usual thing to have to wait for a reply.

You are fortunate to receive any free advice and help.

If you want instant responses you can always choose to pay a professional language service.

Rover

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
We all have a life beyond this forum, so it is a usual thing to have to wait for a reply.

You are fortunate to receive any free advice and help.

If you want instant responses you can always choose to pay a professional language service.

Rover

Speak for yourself. This forum is the axis my life revolves around! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.