Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is it possible to say 2,3? I don't think so. I think where should be changed to which.
1.Sit where you like.
2. Sit on the chair where you like => which
3. Sit at the table where you like.=> which

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Is it possible to say 2,3? I don't think so. I think where should be changed to which.
1.Sit where you like.

keannu.
The most natural sentences are (1) and (2) with 'where'.
.. "wherever" and "whichever" are quite common in this situation, they emphasize the lack of restriction within the options provided, in this case a table surrounded by chairs.
These work OK:
Sit where/wherever you like.
Sit at the table wherever you like.
Take whichever chair/place you like.
.. and of course there are others.

not a teacher

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1.Sit where you like.

keannu.
.. "wherever" and "whichever" are quite common in this situation, they emphasize the lack of restriction within the options provided, in this case a table surrounded by chairs.
These work OK:
Sit where/wherever you like.
Sit at the table wherever you like.
Take whichever chair/place you like.
.. and of course there are others.

not a teacher
I agree with wherever or whichever, but is it possible to say "Sit on the chair where you like. "? I think after "where", the sentence should be complete, but it's not, so only "which" is possible. Isn't it?

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I agree with wherever or whichever, but is it possible to say "Sit on the chair where you like. "? I think after "where", the sentence should be complete, but it's not, so only "which" is possible. Isn't it?

Sit on whichever chair you like. ( doesn't matter which chair)

Sit on the chair where you like. (sounds incorrect to me or at least unclear)

Not a teacher.

:)

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
"Sit on the chair where you like."? I think after "where", the sentence should be complete, but it's not, so only "which" is possible. Isn't it?

I'm assuming there are a number of identical chairs around a table.

"Sit on the chair where you like"
"Sit on the chair which you like"
Those two sentences might be understood in context but I don't think I've ever heard either of them said with the meaning we are discussing.

"Sit on the chair where you like" doesn't sound quite natural. It has a suggestion of "take that chair to wherever you like and sit on it" or even "sit on the part of the chair that you prefer". Better would be, "sit at the table where you like", "sit on whichever chair you like".

"Sit on the chair which you like" sounds natural, but again it has a slight ambiguity. It can suggest that you are choosing a particular chair rather than a position at the table. You want to say "sit anywhere around the table that you like", not "get the chair which you particularly like and sit on it" (that is a possible scenario but I don't think it's what you're asking about).

There are lots of phrases like "sit wherever you want", "take whichever seat you want", "take any seat you like", "take whichever chair you like", "sit at the table wherever you like", "sit at the table, anywhere's fine" etc .. so any that aren't quite right are easily avoided.

not a teacher

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Sit on the chair where you like
This sounds like the kind of thing people might come out with in speech, but written down, it looks rather bizarre.

Status
Not open for further replies.