Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In Korea, nowadays they sleep on the bed a lot, but some people still sleep on the floor on futon or whatever you call.
So what do you call the thing on which you lie and sleep? Do you call it futon? I don't think you use it a lot as you don't sleep on the floor. Do you only call it bedding?
For something to cover yourself, do you call it quilt, comforter, duvet? Which is most widely used?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Futon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I sleep on a bed. People with limited living space may have a futon, since it can be used in two modes (couch by day, bed by night).

You cover yourself with a blanket or a comforter.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Futon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I sleep on a bed. People with limited living space may have a futon, since it can be used in two modes (couch by day, bed by night).

You cover yourself with a blanket or a comforter.

Thank you, I think futon is something you use on the floor in a limited space, but blanket seems a thick material used in winter made of wool, but do you also call a thin one you find at hotel blanket or comforter? There's only thin one. What do you call it?
And how do you normally say when you organize bed stuff after sleeping? Do you say "make the bed" after sleeping and "lay or spread the bedding" right before sleeping?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Blanket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blankets can come in many forms. To me a blanket is thinner than a comforter, but I live in an area that features cold winters and a "comforter" to me is thick and quilted.

You "make the bed" by organizing the sheets, blanket, pillows, etc. for a neat appearance. Whether it is before or after sleeping.

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thank you, I think futon is something you use on the floor in a limited space, but blanket seems a thick material used in winter made of wool, but do you also call a thin one you find at hotel blanket or comforter? There's only thin one. What do you call it?
And how do you normally say when you organize bed stuff after sleeping? Do you say "make the bed" after sleeping and "lay or spread the bedding" right before sleeping?

In the West or at least North America a futon is a little different than your description. The Wikipedia link shows a Western style futon.

Not a teacher.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Or a quilt, or a duvet... I personally use a quilt when it's warmer and a duvet in winter.

Thank you, but what's the difference between bed cover and bed sheets?
Do you say bedclothes for blanket, quilt or something? Which is the most common term among blanket, quilt, duvet, comforter or bedclothes?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Do you say bedclothes for blanket, quilt or something? Which is the most common term among blanket, quilt, duvet, comforter or bedclothes?

A bed cover covers the bed. It can be a separate decorative cover or it could be the actual blanket you sleep under that's used to cover the bed during the day.

2010-06-purple-kids-bedding-bed-covers.jpg

All the stuff that goes on the bed is called bedding.

If you scroll down on this page it has some terminology that's used to describe bedding:
Bedding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The sheets and pillow/duvet covers are also called bed linen or bedclothes. But I've never actually heard anyone use bedclothes.

To me blanket, duvet, and quilt are all different things. I think comforter is what Americans call a duvet.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

As you have seen on the replies here, the words used will vary regionally. For example, "duvet" is not a word I would ever use.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The sheets and pillow/duvet covers are also called bed linen or bedclothes. But I've never actually heard anyone use bedclothes.

But in the UK it's common - which underlines SD's point about regional variations.

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
:up: Also, in more traditional houses, an 'eiderdown'.

b

Thanks! I heard Blackadder use that word once in an expression and never knew what it was exactly.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks! I heard Blackadder use that word once in an expression and never knew what it was exactly.

Sigh. Now I want to rewatch Blackadder but I'm in the middle of a Seinfeld marathon. :-([FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once more. [/FONT]

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's the stickiest situation since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

Status
Not open for further replies.