Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I've been wondering for a while which one is correct "typical of" or "typical for". When you look it up in dictionaries they will give you "typical of". But I've come across "typical for" in newspapers and on the Internet. I have also read that "typical of" is more common in the American Corpus. What would be your opinion?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I've been wandering for a while which one is correct "typical of" or "typical for". When you look it up in dictionaries they will give you "typical of". But I've come across "typical for" in newspapers and on the Internet. I have also read that "typical of" is more common in the American Corpus. What would be your opinion?
They are both possible in the proper context.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
They are both possible in the proper context.
Aren't they interchangeable?

"The Miami Valley has experienced high pollen levels on several days in recent weeks, but overall area pollen counts are typical for this time of year according to the Regional Air Pollution Agency." I guess "typical of" might well fit in this context?

"Not wanting to speak English to foreigners is typical for/of French people."?

What would be the difference? I don't have a single dictionary that says "typical for".

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've been wandering for a while ...

Wandering means travelling about aimlessly.

I am wondering if you didn't mean to say that you've been wondering.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine

I'm trying to get rid of this mistake but it seems to have stuck there.:oops: What would be your "verdict" on the "typical" thing?

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia

Yep, first you learn what wonder and wander mean, and years later you find out you've been pronouncing them the wrong way all this time. ;)

Wonder /a/, wander /o/

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Yep, first you learn what wonder and wander mean, and years later you find out you've been pronouncing them the wrong way all this time. ;)

Wonder /a/, wander /o/

A bunch of "not always"s,"may-be"s and "might-be"s. Would there be like a straight-forward rule for the use of "typical of" or "typical for"?

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
"The painting is a little a-typical for Van Gogh because of the many people appearing on it but also very typical because of the prominent role for the mill."

But he added that other elements of the the work, with its bright colours lathered roughly on the canvas, was typical of Van Gogh's style at the time he was living in Paris.

BBC - arts and culture

Are they interchangeable here? If they are, could you give some examples when they're not?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"The painting is a little a-typical for Van Gogh because of the many people appearing on it but also very typical because of the prominent role for the mill."

But he added that other elements of the the work, with its bright colours lathered roughly on the canvas, was typical of Van Gogh's style at the time he was living in Paris.

BBC - arts and culture

Are they interchangeable here? If they are, could you give some examples when they're not?

It's been on my mind and not from a single source have I been able to get a clear answer.:up: I would assume that atypical=not typical. I wonder if it's the difference between the negative and positive meaning?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.