Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
if I came by a book-store and asked for the book that just came out but it turned out that they didn't have it yet, coud I get an anawer like this "Why don't you check back next week?" Would it be "check back next week" or "check back at us next week"?

If I were right in the middle of something and didn't have time to talk to a person that was calling me, could I say "Could you check back with me later?''?

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
if I came by a book-store and asked for the book that just came out but it turned out that they didn't have it yet, coud I get an anawer like this "Why don't you check back next week?" Yes. Would it be "check back next week" or "check back at us next week"? "Check back next week" or "Check back with us next week."

If I were right in the middle of something and didn't have time to talk to a person that was calling me, could I say "Could you check back with me later?''? Only if the person was calling you to check something (e.g., to check if something has arrived); otherwise, I'd say "Could you call me back later?"[/QUOTE]

NOT A TEACHER.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
if I came by a book-store and asked for the book that just came out but it turned out that they didn't have it yet, coud I get an anawer like this "Why don't you check back next week?" Yes. Would it be "check back next week" or "check back at us next week"? "Check back next week" or "Check back with us next week."

If I were right in the middle of something and didn't have time to talk to a person that was calling me, could I say "Could you check back with me later?''? Only if the person was calling you to check something (e.g., to check if something has arrived); otherwise, I'd say "Could you call me back later?"[/QUOTE]

NOT A TEACHER.

If I needed the singnature of my boss on the report, would it be OK to say "I'm going to need you to check off on my report."?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If I needed the singnature of my boss on the report, would it be OK to say "I'm going to need you to check off on my report."?
If you want his signature, why don't you just ask him for his signature?

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
NOT A TEACHER.

You could say, "I need you to sign off on my report." This would mean to sign and approve it.

When would it be appropriate to use as in this definition ?

"check off on [phrasal verb] check off on (something) US informal : to give official approval for (something) ▪ My boss will have to check off on [=authorize, approve] my decision.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

"check off on [phrasal verb] check off on (something) US informal : to give official approval for (something) ▪ My boss will have to check off on [=authorize, approve] my decision.
It doesn't work at all in BrE.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

You can use it to mean approve, as the definition says. There doesn't need to be an actual signature. It can be used figuratively to just mean that you got the okay to do something.

"I want to spend the rest of the year's budget on ordering sushi. But first I need my boss to check off on that." (to approve that; to give me the go-ahead)

to check off means to put a check mark next to something on a list to show that it's finished or that it's approved. So imagine a figurative check mark.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.