Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
We have quite a number of diminutives in Polish e.g. chlebuś, and it's not exactly the same as "little bread". English is rather poor in diminutives unless you're an Australian. :-D This is what I heard some time ago and it's just come back to me, so I'd like to ask what the most popular diminutives are that come to your mind (not only Australian).

I'll start with:
I had a bikkie and a cuppa for brekkie. (biscuit, coffee/tea?, breakfast)

Chrissie (Christmas)
in the arvo (in the afternoon, more colloq. perhaps)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
pressie - present

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'll start with:
I had a bikkie and a cuppa for brekkie. (biscuit, coffee/tea?, breakfast)
"Cuppa" is short for "Cup of", eg. "cuppa tea". So "cuppa" by itself does not specify the what drink it is, though it usually means tea or coffee.

A: Time for a cuppa?
B: Sure, but I'd prefer a tall glass of iced water if possible.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
There are lots for animals and there are tons of those highly annoying words couples insist on using in front of you in that annoying baby voice. :roll:

undies = underwear

Words to describe protruding or non-protruding navel:

insy and outsy
or
insie and outsie

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
There are lots for animals and there are tons of those highly annoying words couples insist on using in front of you in that annoying baby voice. :roll:

Now I see why English doesn't overflow with diminutives. ;-) But nah, I get what you mean.

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

I too find diminutives kind of annoying. I once had a girlfriend who called breakfast "brekkie". It didn't even save any syllables.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't mind them, but I rarely use them personally, unless I'm talking to my cats, who understand diminutives like "din-dins". So I'll keep out of this thread unless someone makes a mistake about an Ozzie term.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Re: not a teacher

I too find diminutives kind of annoying. I once had a girlfriend who called breakfast "brekkie". It didn't even save any syllables.

And it can get even more uneconomic, at least in Polish:

ciastko (biscuit) - ciasteczko
2 syllables - 3 syllables

So gentlemen, don't 'complain'. ;-)

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't mind them, but I rarely use them personally, unless I'm talking to my cats, who understand diminutives like "din-dins". So I'll keep out of this thread unless someone makes a mistake about an Ozzie term.

Sorry for an unrelated post but...

My Aussie friend get really upset when I type Ozzie to refer to her. She keeps saying, "I don't bite the heads off bats!" :roll: :-D

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Perhaps it's just Canadian culture but unless you are talking to your pets or really young children, using diminutives in Canada usually comes across as (and I say this as nice:) as possible) idiotic.
Undies and Ozzies are the only two that I can think of that are seen as "normal".

I know that diminutives come across very different in other cultures so honestly no offense is intended here.

Not a teacher.
:)

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Perhaps it's just Canadian culture but unless you are talking to your pets or really young children, using diminutives in Canada usually comes across as (and I say this as nice:) as possible) idiotic.
Undies and Ozzies are the only two that I can think of that are seen as "normal".

I know that diminutives come across very different in other cultures so honestly no offense is intended here.

Not a teacher.

+1000

People who talk like that make me want to slap them.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia

Not a teacher.

It's definitely a cultural thing. It's more common in Polish but obviously you can overdo it. My friend picked up some Polish from his ex-girlfriend who happened to be a big fan of diminutives, so now he pretty much softens everything. ;)

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's definitely a cultural thing. It's more common in Polish but obviously you can overdo it. My friend picked up some Polish from his ex-girlfriend who happened to be a big fan of diminutives, so now he pretty much softens everything. ;)

I assume Polish is like Russian/Ukrainian. In those languages making diminutives is much more natural than in English. In English (Canadian at least) it has a bigger potential for sounding idiotic because it doesn't sound natural.

Disclaimer: just an opinion! :-D

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I definitely think it is culturally based. In Portuguese diminutives, if not really overdone, are seen as sweet and gentle.
Diminutives in general really do stand out in Canada and not in a good way.

Not a teachie.

(My attempt at a diminutive and jokkie!... Did someone say something about a slappie?... )

:lol:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd take a cuppa to mean tea not coffee. I don't know if other BrE speakers would do the same.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'd take a cuppa to mean tea not coffee. I don't know if other BrE speakers would do the same.

In North America it is almost exclusively referred to coffee.
a cuppa java
a cuppa joe

But this was a bit of a phase, it's popularity TV derived I think, and it's not really hear that much anymore. Well at least I don't hear it anymore.

Not a teacher.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In North America it is almost exclusively referred to coffee.
a cuppa java
a cuppa joe

But this was a bit of a phase, it's popularity TV derived I think, and it's not really hear that much anymore. Well at least I don't hear it anymore.

Not a teacher.
Tdol was referring to the word 'cuppa' on its own -

I could do with a nice cuppa now.

When followed by a type of drink, we do pronounce 'cup of' as 'cuppa' - a cup of coffeee - but that's different.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Sorry for an unrelated post but...

My Aussie friend get really upset when I type Ozzie to refer to her. She keeps saying, "I don't bite the heads off bats!" :roll: :-D
Yes, I'm sorry. Ozzie is another peurile spelling of Aussie, which is a serviceable diminutive.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
What do you think of 'all righty'? The word crept into my vocabulary after watching Sex and the City, where one of the characters kept using it. I wonder if it sounds somewhat idiotic to you; it sounded nice to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.