Results 1 to 6 of 6
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

    • Join Date: Apr 2011
    • Posts: 1
    #1

    Exclamation IS may sentence correct

    My teacher has a very severe headache.

    pls point out use of "a" and "very" specially.

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: IS may sentence correct

    Quote Originally Posted by tyabhinav View Post
    My teacher has a very severe headache.

    please point out use of "a" and "very" specially.
    I don't understand what you mean by 'point out use'. Your original sentence is correct.

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #3

    Re: IS may sentence correct

    Quote Originally Posted by tyabhinav View Post
    My teacher has a very severe headache.

    pls point out use of "a" and "very" specially.
    "a headache" is used because she has only one headache. We don't say "She has headache".
    'very' has its normal meaning - it's an intensifier. How severe is her headache? - very severe.

  3. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #4

    Exclamation Re: IS may sentence correct

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "a headache" is used because she has only one headache. We don't say "She has headache".
    'very' has its normal meaning - it's an intensifier. How severe is her headache? - very severe.
    Personally, I've always been intrigued by the different usage between a headache and toothache, where the former is countable and the latter is not.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: IS may sentence correct

    Quote Originally Posted by engee30 View Post
    Personally, I've always been intrigued by the different usage between a headache and toothache, where the former is countable and the latter is not.
    Really? Not in AusE. All aches are countable. Pains, on the other hand, are not necessarily. "I have [a] chest pain", "I have [an] abdo pain."
    "I have chronic pain." Yes
    "I have chronic ache." No.

  5. engee30's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Apr 2006
    • Posts: 2,969
    #6

    Re: IS may sentence correct

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Really? Not in AusE. All aches are countable. Pains, on the other hand, are not necessarily. "I have [a] chest pain", "I have [an] abdo pain."
    "I have chronic pain." Yes
    "I have chronic ache." No.
    Well, maybe toothache is not only used as a non-count noun, but the thing is that, in many cases, it is. And when you'd like to say I had severe headache last night, that would be wrong, since headache is primarily countable, if ever uncountable.

Similar Threads

  1. Are these sentence correct?
    By JRD in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29-Sep-2009, 14:43
  2. are these sentence correct
    By scott833 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Sep-2009, 04:58
  3. are these sentence correct
    By scott833 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 21-Sep-2009, 07:58
  4. are these sentence correct
    By scott833 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19-Sep-2009, 18:33
  5. are these sentence correct
    By scott833 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18-Sep-2009, 04:24

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •