• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

correct?

"Last night, I was walking out from work late at night, and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, a bat sitting on the parking lot lawn charged toward me and within seconds flew very close to me. I did not have time to react or realize what happened or if it touched me.

How would I know If I was bitten by that bat? At what point would I need to take the vaccine?"

It's clear from the contex that she may have been bitten by a bat in the past.

1)Why would she say "How would I know If I was bitten by that bat?" not "How would I know If I had been bitten by that bat?

2) Would it mean the same as "She may have been bitten....", if I said "She could have been bitten......" ?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    It's clear from the context that she may have been bitten by a bat in the past.

1)Why would she say "How would I know If I was bitten by that bat?" not "How would I know If I had been bitten by that bat?
    ostap, I have lost count of the number of times I have written that native speakers are not always as precise about using the past perfect as ELT books and grammars suggest they are.

2) Would it mean the same as "She may have been bitten....", if I said "She could have been bitten......" ? It could mean roughly the same.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Re: correct?

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "Last night, I was walking out from work late at night, and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, a bat sitting on the parking lot lawn charged toward me and within seconds flew very close to me. I did not have time to react or realize what happened or if it touched me.

How would I know If I was bitten by that bat? At what point would I need to take the vaccine?"

It's clear from the context that she may have been bitten by a bat in the past.
    Why do you infer that? It's not clear to me.

2) Would it mean the same as "She may have been bitten....", if I said "She could have been bitten......" ?
    The writer has gotten off to a bad start. Do you see the redundacy? A better opening would be "Late last night, I was leaving work, when..." Also, "leaving work" is more natural than "walking out from work."