Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Albania
Current Location
Italy
Good afternoon guys!
Would you please correct my literary essay and evaluate it in a scale of 0(minimum) to 100(maximum) ?
I would be really glad if you evaluate it by respecting the following evatuation criteria:
a)content
b)organisation and cohesion
c)range
d)appropriacy of register and format
e)target reader
The level of the exam is FCE(First Certificate of English= upper-intermediate level)

Thank you in advance! :)

Requirements of the essay: Reading of the novel “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen
ESSAY TOPIC : “Compare the characters of Mr and Mrs Bennet and say whether you think they've a good marriage or not”.
Words limits : 120-180 words

Although Mr and Mrs Bennet are not the protagonists of Jane Austen's “Pride and Prejudice”, they are both described psychologically in the first chapter of the novel.
In the opening, Austen describes the dialogues of the married couple with such an incredible realism and irony that the couple arguments seem to be extracted by a film scene.

Mr Bennet is a self-controlled and good-tempered man who usually uses lively and sarcastic humour. His favourite daughter is Elizabeth and he appreciates her for her intelligence.
His wife, Mrs Bennet, is a chatty, gossipy, impulsive and uneducated woman who's completely incapable of understanding his husband's irony and subtlety of speech and keeps on indulging in romantic speculations about their daughters' futures.

The relationship between Bennets is more likely to be based upon respect and tolerance rather than love, passion and complicity, which should be the roots of an ideal matrimony.

According to Daniel Defoe's “Moll Flanders”, marriage was just a commercial contract in the eighteenth century, “carrying on business, and Love had no share, or but very little, in the matter”.
Bennets' marriage is conform to all the marriages of that time but it does not conciliate with the modern definition of a “good” marriage not because of the couple incompatibility,but for the lack of the virtues, previously quoted.

Last edited:

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Good afternoon guys!
Would you please correct my literary essay and evaluate it in a scale of 0(minimum) to 100(maximum) ?
I would be really glad if you evaluate it by respecting the following evatuation criteria:
a)content
c)range
e)target reader
The level of the exam is FCE(First Certificate of English= upper-intermediate level)

Requirements of the essay: Reading of the novel “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen
ESSAY TOPIC : “Compare the characters of Mr and Mrs Bennet and say whether you think they've a good marriage or not”.

Although Mr and Mrs Bennet are not the protagonists of Jane Austen's “Pride and Prejudice”, they are both described psychologically in the first chapter of the novel.
In the opening, Austen describes the dialogues of the married couple with such an incredible realism and irony that the couple arguments seem to be extracted by a film scene.

Mr Bennet is a self-controlled and good-tempered man who usually uses lively and sarcastic humour. His favourite daughter is Elizabeth and he appreciates her for her intelligence.
His wife, Mrs Bennet, is a chatty, gossipy, impulsive and uneducated woman who's completely incapable of understanding his husband's irony and subtlety of speech and keeps on indulging in romantic speculations about their daughters' futures.

The relationship between Bennets is more likely to be based upon respect and tolerance rather than love, passion and complicity, which should be the roots of an ideal matrimony.

According to Daniel Defoe's “Moll Flanders”, marriage was just a commercial contract in the eighteenth century, “carrying on business, and Love had no share, or but very little, in the matter”.
Bennets' marriage is conform to all the marriages of that time but it does not conciliate with the modern definition of a “good” marriage not because of the couple incompatibility,but for the lack of the virtues, previously quoted.
hi
i hope that your writing will be good,for me currently i read the novel but i haven't finished yet but i add that Mrs bennet whatever in her mind is out of her mouth and but Mr bennet Largely quiet and witty with his replies
your writing should have unity
your writing is about whether you think they've a good marriage or not”.
therefore you must talk deeply about this point and develop it , but you are giving more importance to their character in general

good luck

notice:

I suggest to discuss what we read in pride and prejudice in the forum;-if you had already read it or you read it currently-, it will be a great deal
really I need someone of this forum to participate and to be active to exchane ideas information as you know it is a good way to support and to bolster our comprehension

.what do you think ? if you agree i want to begin as soon as possible

elvis93

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Albania
Current Location
Italy
Well, I was required to discuss about the quality of their marriage by offering a comparison between bride and groom.
I supported my theory with a literary evidence and with a description of the characters, thinking this could be enough, but I think you're right. I read the whole book both in italian and in english.
Anyway, it would be a pleasure for me to discuss about the book and about english literature in general(I find it fascinating). :D

Last edited:

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
in chapter 1 mr bennet did not appear quite serious, and his replies seems to be a sort of joking and this quote show that mr bennet does not care or ruther pretend ,and hides that their daughters are not in need of husbands

‘Oh! Single, my dear, to be sure! A single man of large
fortune; four or five thousand a year. What a fine thing for
our girls!’
‘How so? How can it affect them?’
‘My dear Mr. Bennet,’ replied his wife, ‘how can you be
so tiresome! You must know that I am thinking of his marrying
one of them.

this is a paragraph that i found it in the internet and i hope that it help you to support your ideas

The Relationship between Mr and Mrs Bennet in Chapter One of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

the Relationship between Mr and Mrs Bennet in Chapter One of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

In chapter one of Pride and Prejudice, Mr and Mrs Bennet’s relationship is demonstrated to the reader within the first few paragraphs. The relationship is shown to be complex and one-sided.
Mr Bennet and Mrs Bennet are very different. Mr Bennet is a complex man, who has two main hobbies in life: reading and teasing his wife. On the other hand, Mrs Bennet is a simple and stupid character, who is unable to tell when she is being teased by her husband. She is caught up in a rat race, with all the other neighbouring families, desperately trying to get her five daughters married before they are too old to be desirable. Consequentially she is unable to focus her attention upon anything except her desire to marry her spinster daughters off. She is a great talker, not in quality but in quantity almost appearing an inability to control her mouth.
She enjoys gossiping with other women in similar positions. An example of this is when Mrs Bennet learns of Netherfield Park having been let because “Mrs Long has just been here and, she told me all about it,” she says. Almost immediately after hearing of this she is in a hurry to tell her husband and asks him if he has heard that Netherfield Park has been rented and “he replied that had not.” Mrs Bennet is terribly excited about the possibility of finding a wealthy husband for one of her daughters whereas Mr Bennet is seemingly nonchalant.
Mr Bennet presents a false pretence of unconcern; it is his way of amusing himself, tormenting his wife psychologically. He pretends not to care about whether his daughters find rich husbands or not, it will be crucial to their survival when Mr Bennet dies. This is because their family estate and the income that accompanies it has been entailed so that only male heirs are eligible to inherit it. Therefore it is obvious that the marriage of his daughters must be paramount to Mr Bennet.
The stupidity of Mrs Bennet is most apparent when Mr Bennet suggests that it may not be advisable for her to visit Bingley. He says that she is “as handsome as any of them” and that Bingley might fall for her instead of any of the daughters. He is of course teasing her because by this time Mrs Bennet must be at least forty five or fifty now and while she may have been attractive in her youth cannot now compete with Jane’s beauty. Mrs Bennet is completely oblivious to Mr Bennet’s mocking of her and believes that he is genuinely worried that Bingley might fall for her.
Amongst Mrs Bennet’s many flaws there is hypocrisy, she is angered by Mr Bennet’s preference for “Lizzy” the second eldest of their five daughters. However, she herself has two favourites whom she loves more than the other three. Mrs Bennet forgets this when it suits her, in this case to enhance her argument against Mr Bennet.
Although, Mr Bennet is far superior to Mrs Bennet as an intellectual and is naturally a more quiet and withdrawn character, he comes across as a self-righteous and arrogant man. He is convinced that he is doing the correct thing at all times even if it means mocking his own daughters or wife for his own humor. He has not been thorough and has shown a disturbing lack of care in raising his children and this lack of attention later becomes clear in the novel with Lydia’s actions.

other notes

Mr. and Mrs. Bennet have a poor relationship. The implication is that Mrs. Bennet was once a great beauty, and Mr. Bennet fell in love with her for her looks, but he regretted it when he realized what an idiot she was, and that he could never respect, or truly care for, such a foolish woman. He does not love her, nor she him, though she appears to be to stupid to notice or care. He teases and prods at her, his one great mistake, his folly, but he is really teasing himself, for allowing himself to be tied to such a fool.

Support:
In Chapter 1, Mr., refusing to visit Mr. Binglet, suggests that "[Mrs. Bennet] and the girls may go, or [she] may send them by themselves, which perhaps will be still better; for, as [she is] as handsome as any of them, Mr. Bingley might like [her] the best of the party." Mrs. Bennet replies, "I certainly have had my share of beauty, but I do not pretend to be any thing extraordinary now." This is an allusion to her former beauty, and how Mr. Bingley may be captivated by the girl's beauty, though Bennet deems them foolish, just as he was captivated by Mrs. Bennet's beauty, years before.

He enjoys teasing her, doing so throughout the novel. Here is one example in Chapter 1. Upon Mr. Bennet calling his daughters silly and ignorant, Mrs. Bennet exclaims, ``Mr. Bennet, how can you abuse your own children in such way? You take delight in vexing me. You have no compassion on my poor nerves.'' Bennet replies, ''You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these twenty years at least.''

At the end of the chapter, Austen clearly states that the two have little understanding:
"Mr. Bennet was so odd a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice, that the experience of three and twenty years had been insufficient to make his wife understand his character. Her mind was less difficult to develope. She was a woman of mean understanding, little information, and uncertain temper."

But perhaps the most telling passage in the book comes in chapter 59. The last two sentences are especially significant.
"But let me advise you to think better of [your marriage to Mr. Darcy]. I know your disposition, Lizzy. I know that you could be neither happy nor respectable, unless you truly esteemed your husband; unless you looked up to him as a superior. Your lively talents would place you in the greatest danger in an unequal marriage. You could scarcely escape discredit and misery. My child, let me not have the grief of seeing you unable to respect your partner in life. You know not what you are about.'' He is warning her off the same mistake he made.

As for the people who keep telling you to watch the movie, the new movie with Keira Knightley is AWFUL, totally hollywood-dramaticized, poorly acted, ignorantly portrayed (The Bennets live on a manor in the middle of a farm! A farm! Their back courtyard opens onto a pigsty.They aren't poor farmers. They're quite well off. The girls just can't inherit any of it) If you want to watch a good version, almost identical to the novel, try the BBC version with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. It's excellent. But the novel really tops all.

if you are interesting i want to discuss the novel:up:

good luck

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Good afternoon guys!
a)content
c)range
e)target reader

Although Mr and Mrs Bennet are not the protagonists of Jane Austen's “Pride and Prejudice”, they are both described psychologically in the first chapter of the novel. In the opening, Austen describes the dialogues of the married couple with such an incredible realism and irony that the couple arguments seem to be extracted by a film scene.
Isn't "incredible realism" an oxymoron? I wouldn't use "incredible" with this meaning in a formal essay. The primary meaning of 'incredible' is unbelievable.

Mr Bennet is a self-controlled and good-tempered man who usually uses lively and sarcastic humour. His favourite daughter is Elizabeth and he appreciates her for her intelligence. His wife, Mrs Bennet, is a chatty, gossipy, impulsive and uneducated woman who's completely incapable of understanding [STRIKE]his[/STRIKE] her husband's irony and subtlety of speech and keeps on indulging in romantic speculations about their daughters' futures.
"usually uses" is awkward.

The relationship between the Bennets is more likely to be based upon respect and tolerance rather than love, passion and complicity, which should be the roots of an ideal matrimony.
"Complicity" is probably not the word you want. Its connotations are usually negative. "roots" isn't good either.

[STRIKE]According to Daniel Defoe's “Moll Flanders”, marriage was just a commercial contract in the eighteenth century, “carrying on business, and Love had no share, or but very little, in the matter”.[/STRIKE]
This essay is far too short to include irrelevant material even if proves that you've read more widely. It's your opinions, not Defoe's, that are asked for.

Bennets' marriage [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] conforms to all [all? Are you sure?] the marriages of that time but it does not conciliate [wrong word] with the modern definition of a “good” marriage - not because of the couple's incompatibility, but for the lack of the virtues, previously quoted.
You don't need to start a new line for each sentence. Write in paragraphs.
You've used a few words in strange ways.

elvis93

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Albania
Current Location
Italy
Thanks you a lot Raymott for your helpful tips :)
I've understood all your corrections and I'll try to apply them in the next essays.
I didn't know I couldn't quote other writers. When writing essays in italian , I always make quotations.
Hope I improve my catastophic way of writing english essays. :(

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks you a lot Raymott for your helpful tips :)
I've understood all your corrections and I'll try to apply them in the next essays.
I didn't know I couldn't quote other writers. When writing essays in italian , I always make quotations.
Hope I improve my catastophic way of writing english essays. :(
With literary essays, you can certainly quote from other sources. The point in this case is that you have only 180 words, which is barely sufficient to answer the question. It could be construed as padding though.

I should have said that your grammar and cohesion of the essay is quite good.

elvis93

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Albania
Current Location
Italy
Thank you a lot Gil and Raymott.
The next time I'll use quotations ONLY for LONG essays and I'll pay more attention in the choice of the words. :D

elvis93

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Albania
Current Location
Italy

As for the people who keep telling you to watch the movie, the new movie with Keira Knightley is AWFUL, totally hollywood-dramaticized, poorly acted, ignorantly portrayed (The Bennets live on a manor in the middle of a farm! A farm! Their back courtyard opens onto a pigsty.They aren't poor farmers. They're quite well off. The girls just can't inherit any of it) If you want to watch a good version, almost identical to the novel, try the BBC version with Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. It's excellent. But the novel really tops all.

if you are interesting i want to discuss the novel:up:

good luck

First of all, I'd like to congratulate you for the analysis of the married couple. I really look up to your writing style: clear and accurate.
I have watched the film with Keira Knightley too. Unfortunately, a film isn't expected to have the homonymous book quality and the emotions that the book gives to someone so I think errors are understandable.
I'm quite curious to see the BBC version you suggested that I should see.
If you like english literature, we can discuss about it.
I'm going to pubblish an essay about "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad very soon.
It will be a chance to improve my style and have the opinions of all you guys.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
First of all, I'd like to congratulate you for the analysis of the married couple. I really look up to your writing style: clear and accurate.
I have watched the film with Keira Knightley too. Unfortunately, a film isn't expected to have the homonymous book quality and the emotions that the book gives to someone so I think errors are understandable.
I'm quite curious to see the BBC version you suggested that I should see.
If you like english literature, we can discuss about it.
I'm going to pubblish an essay about "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad very soon.
It will be a chance to improve my style and have the opinions of all you guys.

thank you very much
but to be clear i already mention that this paragraph is from internet and it is not me who write it ;i just want to help you and strengthen your essay as much as possible

I'll be happy if we can exchange ideas about the novel

Regards

kiki123

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status