• Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

too young for this care

Hi.
    Would you help me understand the following passage?

Before following Bobby through his black experience, however, it is better to know what happened at the Cedars where his cousin, Katherine Perrine was, except for the servants, alone with old Silas Blackburn who seemed apprehensive of some sly approach of disaster. At twenty Katherine was too young, too light-hearted for this care of her uncle in which she had persisted as an antidote for Bobby's shortcomings.(From The Abandoned Room by Wadworth Camp)

I don't quite understand "Katherine was too young...for this care of her uncle" part. Does this mean "though she was brought up under the care of this uncle, she was very young and light-hearted"? I appreciate any comments. Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

Re: too young for this care

I see. That makes a sense. Thank you very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Gillnetter View Post
    Try replacing "care" with "concern" or "worry". At her young age, Katherine didn't have the same concerns as her uncle did.

I disagree. I haven't read the book but judging by the paragraph provided, it sounds like Catherine has to take care of her elderly uncle and she's too young to be shut up there alone with uncle and servants in order to be a caretaker. It also sounds like she's doing it to make up for "Bobby's shortcomings".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    I disagree. I haven't read the book but judging by the paragraph provided, it sounds like Catherine has to take care of her elderly uncle and she's too young to be shut up there alone with uncle and servants in order to be a caretaker. It also sounds like she's doing it to make up for "Bobby's shortcomings".
    That's the way I read it too. I must say, though, that it's a poorly written passage.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Before following Bobby through his black experience, however, it is better to know what happened at the Cedars where his cousin, Katherine Perrine was, except for the servants, alone with old Silas Blackburn who seemed apprehensive of some sly approach of disaster. At twenty Katherine was too young, too light-hearted for this care of her uncle in which she had persisted as an antidote for Bobby's shortcomings."

It seems to me that the line, "...with old Silas Blackburn who seemed apprehensive of some sly approach of disaster.", is a comparsion with, "...Katherine was too young, too light-hearted for this care of her uncle..." Silas had concerns that were not shared by Katherine.

That's fine but it doesn't account for the part highlighted in blue. So, she was too young to have the same concerns as her uncle but she persisted in ... those concerns? to make up for her cousin's shortcomings? This makes no sense.

I think my reading accounts for all parts of the passage better.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Before following Bobby through his black experience, however, it is better to know what happened at the Cedars where his cousin, Katherine Perrine was, except for the servants, alone with old Silas Blackburn who seemed apprehensive of some sly approach of disaster. At twenty Katherine was too young, too light-hearted for this care of her uncle in which she had persisted as an antidote for Bobby's shortcomings.

There are at least three ways this sentence could be understood:
    1. She did not share her uncle's concerns
    2. She was a caregiver
    3. Even though she was young, she cared about her uncle

Unon reflection I am drawn to the third case. Bobby didn't care about Silas - Katherine did.
    Why would someone be too young or too light-hearted to care about their relative?

But, you're welcome to your reading.