Russian Speakers - Translation Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm a huge fan of the old TV series Mystery Science Theater 3000. I've recently learned that some creative folks in Russia have launched their own version of that show called Project Popcorn. I would love it if someone could translate the lyrics to the opening theme song for me:

Project Popcorn

For comparison purposes, here is the original US theme song:
Mystery Science Theater 3000

Here are the English lyrics for the US version, which describe the premise of the show. I presume the Russian version has the same basis:

In the not-too-distant future --
Next Sunday A.D. --
There was a guy named Joel,
Not too different from you or me.
He worked at Gizmonic Institute,
Just another face in a red jumpsuit.
He did a good job cleaning up the place,
But his bosses didn't like him
So they shot him into space.

We'll send him cheesy movies,
The worst we can find (la-la-la).
He'll have to sit and watch them all,
And we'll monitor his mind (la-la-la).
Now keep in mind Joel can't control
Where the movies begin or end (la-la-la)
Because he used those special parts
To make his robot friends.

Robot Roll Call:
Cambot!
Gypsy!
Tom Servo!
Croooow!

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
and other science facts (la la la),
Then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show,
I should really just relax
For Mystery Science Theater 3000!"

Thanks for your help! :-D

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
OK I listened to that song like 5 times while writing this. I hope to never hear it again. :-D

Something like this...

At the science institute an experiment is being conducted
the effect of film is being tested on humans
how old movies of questionable quality influence consciousness
Stepa is a good guy who needs money
he signed up for the experiments ignoring risk and fear
but he didn't know that the experiments are conducted by an evil genius Prof. Zamyshljavkin (from the word that means to concoct)
Stepa is now trapped watching movies and if it wasn't for his friends he'd be doomed
infiltrators -- dog and a penguin -- save his mind and watch the movies with him
Fidel (penguin) -- Ketchup (dog) -- the best achievements of national defense (?!)
When the friends are all together, they do not fear the villain. They keep commenting (on the movie) so it's more fun. In defiance of scientific theories they laugh watching Project Popcorn.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
BTW I don't know where you found this but searching for "проект попкорн" on Russian search engines only returns, as far as I can tell, two videos on Google videos. There's no other website/info.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
BTW I don't know where you found this but searching for "проект попкорн" on Russian search engines only returns, as far as I can tell, two videos on Google videos. There's no other website/info.

Aha, the plot thickens! Perhaps I was duped, as were former writers/performers of Mystery Science Theater 3000 who have posted these links on their various Twitter and Facebook sites, stating that there is/was a Russian copy of their show. Maybe it was a one-off by some prankster? The FBI warning at the beginning maybe should have been a clue, but I, like most MSTies, thought it was just another MST-style joke by the (supposed) Russian counterparts. You know, like "Ha ha, we're not even in the U.S. but we'll put the traditional FBI warning at the beginning our our show!"

Here is an excerpt I found on RuTube (a Russian video-sharing channel):
ðÒÏÅËÔ ðÏÐËÏÒÎ "çÏÂÏÊ ÞÁÓÔØ 2" :: ÷Ù ÓÍÏÔÒÉÔÅ ËÁÎÁÌ: popcorn2009 :: óÔÅÐÁ óÁÍÏËÁÔÏ× :: ÷ÉÄÅÏ ÎÁ RuTube -

And an extended version of the same "show" (I think) on Google:
Проект Попкорн Эксперимент Гобой

Is there any indication in the "in theater" dialog between the silhouetted figures that indicates whether or not this is a regular TV show, or just a one-time thing? If it is just a one-off prank, the makers took a lot of trouble to very accurately emulate the original (i.e. the shadow-rama effect of the characters sitting in a theater and mocking the movie being shown):

YouTube - Mystery Science Theater 3000 short: Spring Fever (MST3K)

Thanks very much for translating the theme song! :-D

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yeah, those videos on rutube are the same ones as on Google video. There's absolutely no other information to be found. The videos posted on rutube have a total of 1 comment that says (and I'm using much milder language here) "what is this shit?".

Also, and this should be very telling, there is no such show to be found on Russian torrent trackers. And if something is on Russian TV, it's on Russian torrent trackers.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The FBI warning at the beginning maybe should have been a clue, but I, like most MSTies, thought it was just another MST-style joke by the (supposed) Russian counterparts. You know, like "Ha ha, we're not even in the U.S. but we'll put the traditional FBI warning at the beginning our our show!"

The warning is not real. It says "FBI warning: this program is for personal use only and is to be watched with beer and chips in the company of friends."

Moby Wan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not national defense, correctly defense industry.

Moby Wan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Mutants diversionists dog and a penguin -- save his mind and watch the movies with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.