Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I have seen numerous cases for singular-plural matching. So in the following question of a test, number 5 "Things often seem at its worst " is the incorrect answer,
but can you also say "Things often seem at its worst" instead of "Things often seem at their worst"?

ex)I wonder how many people give up just when success is almost within reach. They endure day after day, and just when they’re about to make it, decide they can’t take any more. The difference between success and failure is not that great. Successful people have simply learned the value of staying in the game until it is won. Those who never make it are the ones who quit too soon. When things are darkest, successful people refuse to give up because they know they’re almost there. Things often seem at [FONT=신명 중명조]⑤[/FONT]its worst just before they get better. The mountain is steepest at the summit, but that’s no reason to turn back.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. "Things" is plural. "Their" is plural. Things are at their worst.

There are some cases where people use "their" with singular subjects, but that is to avoid saying "his." (Which some easily-offended can view as "sexist.")

Match singular to singular and plural to plural.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No. "Things" is plural. "Their" is plural. Things are at their worst.

There are some cases where people use "their" with singular subjects, but that is to avoid saying "his." (Which some easily-offended can view as "sexist.")

Match singular to singular and plural to plural.

Thanks a lot, and I think it's like "A student should do their best" to avoid sexist nuance. Isn't it?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'A student should do their best.'

I always avoid this by saying 'Students should do their best'.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.