Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
1)"You ought to put up with what can't be changed."

OR

2)"You should put up with what can't be changed."

OR

3)"You need to put up with what can't be changed."

1) and 2) would be interchangeable, wouldn't they? Would the third sentence convey the same meaning in conversation as the previous two? Would it sound less obligatory? I would assume that the best is to use the third one since it carries a subjective want.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

OR

OR

1) and 2) would be interchangeable, wouldn't they? Would the third sentence convey the same meaning in conversation as the previous two? Would it sound less obligatory? I would assume that the best is to use the third one since it carries a subjective want.
Where is the "subjective want"?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Where is the "subjective want"?

Would this be a trustworthy statement "Ought" inplies "necessity." "Need" only implies a subjective want."?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

As you suggest, these can mean virtually the same

Would the third sentence convey the same meaning in conversation as the previous two? It could.
Effectively, depending on context and (in speech) intonation, #3 could imply several things, including:

a. I think it would be a good idea if you put up... (suggestion)
b. I decree that it is necessary for you to put up... (obligation)
c,. I see that you require the capacity to put up... (need)

Note that the paraphrases and bracketed comment are very rough ideas.

Would it sound less obligatory? There is a less explicit obligation than in #1 and #2.

I would assume that the best [in what situations?] is to use the third one since it carries a subjective want.I don't really understand 'subjective want'.
It is impossible to say which is 'best'. Only the speaker in any situation knows what is going on in her/his mind, and what message s/he wishes to convey.

My suggestion/obligation/need examples with your 'put up with' are not really very good. Perhaps these are better:

a. Peter: My wife has been a little depressed since our cat died.
George: You need to get her a new one.
(Suggestion)

b. Doctor (to nurse): I am worried about this patient. You need to keep a close eye on him. (Obligation)

c. Manager (to employee): You've worked flat out on this project You look worn out. You need to take some time off. (Need)

A slight change in intonation could change the interpretation: (c), for example, could easily be taken as a suggestion.

It is difficult to give clearer answers, because we are not able to read the speaker's mind.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It is impossible to say which is 'best'. Only the speaker in any situation knows what is going on in her/his mind, and what message s/he wishes to convey.

My suggestion/obligation/need examples with your 'put up with' are not really very good. Perhaps these are better:

a. Peter: My wife has been a little depressed since our cat died.
George: You need to get her a new one.
(Suggestion)

b. Doctor (to nurse): I am worried about this patient. You need to keep a close eye on him. (Obligation)

c. Manager (to employee): You've worked flat out on this project You look worn out. You need to take some time off. (Need)

A slight change in intonation could change the interpretation: (c), for example, could easily be taken as a suggestion.

It is difficult to give clearer answers, because we are not able to read the speaker's mind.

"You don't need to pay so much money up-front."=It can be interpreted both as suggestion and obligation depending on an intonation?

"There Needs To Be A Buzz About The Place."
Would this be close in meaning to "There's got to be a buzz about the place." It's an extract from the article about soccer.

Last edited:

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
You don't need to pay so much money up-front=It can be interpreted both as suggestion and obligation depending on an intonation?

I realise understanding things depends largely on the context and the speaker, but I would generally read
you don't need to pay as "it's not necessary for you to pay,"
you needn't pay as "I allow you not to pay," and
you don't have to pay as "you are not obliged to pay".

Also, I feel the speaker's authority and attitude have much to do with what he chooses to say. If somebody in authority doesn't want to sound too oppressive they might use "need" to express the idea of obligation. If your boss says that you "need to do sth", it usually doesn't leave you much room for debate. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.