Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

Doing a gap-fill exercise and checking my answers with the key, I found out I got one wrong but I fail to understand why. Could somebody please take the trouble to tell me what is wrong with it?

During the Stone Age or Mesolithic Period men and women led an active social and spiritual life. Large encampments, where up to 200 people may have lived, have recently come to light in several parts of Europe, in addition to the remains of communal tombs and temples. Making stone tools would probably have been regarded as a communal activity, in which even children used to participate.

My answer was 'could'. Is it wrong just because the word 'probably' already indicates probability, and the usage of 'could' would create redundancy? :-?

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My answer was 'could'. Is it wrong just because the word 'probably' already indicates probability, and the usage of 'could' would create redundancy?
Yes, but I am fairly sure that some native speakers would happily use 'could' there.

I almost wrote 'might' in place of the underlined 'would', and then remembered that I had previously written 'fairly sure'. Being fairly sure that people might do something does not really work. In conversation, such slips would pass unnoticed.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thanks! That's a CPE gap-fill exercise, so any mistakes are a luxury I can't afford :) Anyway, I never thought about that before; I'll be more careful now. Thanks again!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks! That's a CPE gap-fill exercise, so any mistakes are a luxury I can't afford :) Anyway, I never thought about that before; I'll be more careful now. Thanks again!
I loathe most gap-fill exercises. They put the learner in the unenviable position of trying to think what somebody else might be thinking if they (the somebody else) were to make the utterance. Normally we use language to express what we are thinking.

Quite frequently, some 'incorrect' answers would not be noticed by many native speakers, and some native speakers would themselves give incorrect answers.

However, that is no consolation if you have to do this. You have my sympathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.