Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi! This is my first post here, but I've followed this forum for a long time.

Today, I challenged myself with transcribing part of a YouTube video. Here's the URL:

youtube.com/watch?v=kW3A-dZf9Xc

The challenge was to transcribe everything between 00:45-01:01. I'm not sure I have it right. Here's what I came up with:

"What... what the f——? What? What the—oh! What the hell? No! What? This isn't... what? What's going on? Oh, for God's sake! How? What? Did a—whoa! This isn't... I wanted—I wanted weather."

Please be as criticizing as possible. I'm really trying to learn em-dashes. My biggest problem was understanding when to use an em-dash or an ellipsis. I also wanted to make the last sentence to read, "I wanted— I wanted weather" (with a space after the em-dash). This is easier to read for me, but the rule forbids spaces before or after em-dashes. On the other hand, couldn't this be two separate sentences? The first would just be interrupted. Ah—my brain! Please help. Thank you.

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi! This is my first post here, but I've followed this forum for a long time.

Today, I challenged myself with transcribing part of a YouTube video. Here's the URL:

youtube.com/watch?v=kW3A-dZf9Xc

The challenge was to transcribe everything between 00:45-01:01. I'm not sure I have it right. Here's what I came up with:

"What... what the f——? What? What the—oh! What the hell? No! What? This isn't... what? What's going on? Oh, for God's sake! How? What? Did a—whoa! This isn't... I wanted—I wanted weather."

Please be as criticizing as possible. I'm really trying to learn em-dashes. My biggest problem was understanding when to use an em-dash or an ellipsis. I also wanted to make the last sentence to read, "I wanted— I wanted weather" (with a space after the em-dash). This is easier to read for me, but the rule forbids spaces before or after em-dashes. On the other hand, couldn't this be two separate sentences? The first would just be interrupted. Ah—my brain! Please help. Thank you.

A suggestion.
Maybe you could explained what the clip is about. Based on your transcript of it some might be disinclined to watch it, of course others may not.

Not a teacher.

blanknot

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A suggestion.
Maybe you could explained what the clip is about. Based on your transcript of it some might be disinclined to watch it, of course others may not.

Not a teacher.

I completely understand. Thank you for bringing this up.

The video is rated PG. There's no need to watch more than one minute of the video, but it only consists of a guy wondering around in a video game called Minecraft. He's looking for a new feature to the game (weather). The person in the video becomes a bit loud once he falls into a pit of skeletons attacking him (45 seconds into the video). Be prepared for that. Everything is transcribed as literally as I could. He doesn't actually say the f-word. He only pronounces the F before stopping himself. The worst word he uses is hell, and it's only used once. Some may find the video juvenile, but it offers a dialog with great impulsiveness and fluctuation.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't know anything about transcribing so I can't help you. :-(
But the beginning of that video was hysterical.

Status
Not open for further replies.