[General] Does the stucture of “ be willing to do something ” suggest/imply basically nagative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tramper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I am curious whether the structure of " be willing to do something " basically implies negative meanings or not.

I looked it up in some dictionaries, it says " not refuse doing something " or "happy to do something". on the other hand, I found out totally different meaning by googling. It was like, doing something that you actually don't like to take/do it pleasantly. Does It can be used in a native or positive way? If so, Is it totaly up to the sentence? I mean, does it totally depend on the sentence?

I will write out the meaning that I've understood below each example. please check out whether I understood it straight.
Here are examples.

I told him I was perfectly willing to help him.
  1. I told him I was happy to help you.
  2. I told him I was happy to help you, but franckly I didn't really want to help you >
===============================================================================

I am always willing and eager to help you.
  1. I am always ready to help you delightfully.
  2. I am always ready to help you. but, actually, I don't really want to help you >
=============================================================================

I am perfectly willing to try this
  1. I am ready to try this because It is what I have been looking forward doing. >
  2. I will try this even though I don't really want to do. I will give it a try, anyway, because there is no another options.
===========================================================================
I would appreciate if someone could leave their own opinion on this or correct sentences that sound pretty awkward.
Thanks a million for taking your time.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am curious whether the structure of " be willing to do something " imply basically negative meanings or not.
No. In the right context, especially if the 'willing' statement is followed by a 'but' clause, one may be able to infer some lack of enthusiasm in the willingness, but it has no inherently negative implications, in my opinion.

Tramper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
No. In the right context, especially if the 'willing' statement is followed by a 'but' clause, one may be able to infer some lack of enthusiasm in the willingness, but it has no inherently negative implications, in my opinion.

Thank you for the explanation, fivejedjon.

Let me get this straight. you meant to say. In the examples above indicate/show that speaker will be/is happy to do something or deal with something, like, happy to help you in the sentence, because those are not composed of "but" clause ?

would you give me some example sentences that are composed of both "be willing to" and "but" clause?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It depends on the context- all of the sentences above could be said sarcastically to mean the exact opposite of the words. Meaning is creative. We can say I am willing to do it but if you'd like to.... Willing could mean that the person is keen, will do it if they have to or doesn't really want to do it. It depends on the context, intonation, etc.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the examples above indicate/show that speaker will be/is happy to do something or deal with something, like, happy to help you in the sentence, because those are not composed of "but" clause ? Yes, particularly: "I am always willing and eager to help you". Incidentally, in "I am always ready to help you [STRIKE]delightfully[/STRIKE]", the use of 'delightfully' is not natural.

[STRIKE]w[/STRIKE]Would you give me some example sentences that are composed of both "be willing to" and "but" clause?
Don't forget that context is very important.

Let's imagine that I have been working hard in my Monday-to-Friday job, and am looking forward to a weekend break, My boss asks me if I will work a full day on Saturday. I might answer:

Well, I'd be willing to come in for the morning, but there is no way I'm giving up the afternoon as well.

It can be inferred that I am probably not particularly happy about working on Saturday morning.

Tramper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Dear, Tdol and fivejedjon. :up:

I would like to thank you guys for leaving clear explanations and tips (esp, paying attention to context and intonation) that I've got to be keeping in mind.

Now, I am able to understand in which situation I should apply "be willing to do something " to.

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.