Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Today I heard something new that I didn't know before and It really makes me wonder how much of it is correct or if it's grammatically correct do the people really care to apply this rule in their conversations?

It's about the differences between these words.
for example this test.

It can be very difficult to work with Mr- ................. he is a very kind manager.

1. when 2. therefor 3.while 4.even though

is this sentence wrong? It can be very difficult to work with Mr- even though he is a very kind manager.

I heard this from a teacher that the answer is while because while and whereas shows a type of contrast that is expectable!! and we can not use even though because it shows a contrast that is not expectable I mean like something extraordinary has happened! like in the following test. The question is aren't they interchangeable here?

He still behaves like a little child ...............he is 25 now.
1.although 2. whereas 3 . beacuse 4. while

and the answer here is 1. ( I agree that although seems much better here)

This is something I hadn't heard about it until now and if it's really a 100 percent rule then well it shows that maybe I'll have to start from the beginning!!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please try to use some punctuation in your writing. Without any, it becomes quite difficult to read.
It can be very difficult to work with Mr- ................. he is a very kind manager.

1. when 2. therefore 3.while 4.even though

[STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] Is this sentence wrong? It can be very difficult to work with Mr- even though he is a very kind manager.

I heard [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] from a teacher that the answer is 'while', because 'while' and 'whereas' show[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] a type of contrast that is expectable[STRIKE]!![/STRIKE], and we can not use 'even though' because it shows a contrast that is not expectable; I mean [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] something extraordinary has happened[STRIKE]![/STRIKE], like in the following test.
For me, 'while' is not natural; 'even though' is fine. 'Even though' suggests something unexpected, which is the situation here. One would expect a very kind manager to be easy to work with.

maral55

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Really what is the border between expected and unexpected?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Really what is the border between expected and unexpected?

Is this a question about grammar or philosophy? :-D

If something follows based on common sense "logic", it's probably expected. But I guess it would depend on the person.

maral55

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Is this a question about grammar or philosophy? :-D

If something follows based on common sense "logic", it's probably expected. But I guess it would depend on the person.

I really don't know! the problem is when someone is difficult to work with it is more likely that he isn't kind but a teacher does not agree with me and thinks this is something expected. So we can not use even though.

I am really confused here and If please someone tell me if there is such a big difference at least in conversations?

Dimitra Pachoula

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Please try to use some punctuation in your writing. Without any, it becomes quite difficult to read.For me, 'while' is not natural; 'even though' is fine. 'Even though' suggests something unexpected, which is the situation here. One would expect a very kind manager to be easy to work with.

Good evening, new member here. Could someone please help me understand this better? Do the following examples illustrate the difference between "although" and "whereas" ?

1. He smokes, although he knows it's bad for him.
2. He smokes, while his wife doesn't.

Are "although" and "whereas" interchangable in the above sentences? Without being able to justify it, I feel they aren't... Or does it have to do with the expected / unexpected contrast situation? Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.