Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
When it comes to stopping the operation of an electronic device, is there any difference between the two phrases?
As to "turn off", what devices that needs no electricity to work such as "tap" can be its objective? (Ex: I turned off the tap.)
I can't think of any except "tap".:roll:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
When it comes to stopping the operation of an electronic device, is there any difference between the two phrases?
As to "turn off", what devices that needs no electricity to work such as "tap" can be its objective? (Ex: I turned off the tap.)
I can't think of any except "tap".:roll:
You can use either "switch off" or "turn off" for electrical and electronic devices. As you say, we use "turn off" for taps.

Drear Pooson

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

I would say, especially concerning electric devices, that whenever a device is turned off by use of a switch, then turning off and switching off are the same.

Regarding your second question, you could turn off a car or a lawn mower or other internal-cumbustion engine. You could also turn off gas lighting, a gas stove, etc.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would say, especially concerning electric devices, that whenever a device is turned off by use of a switch, then turning off and switching off are the same.

Regarding your second question, you could turn off a car or a lawn mower or other internal-combustion engine. You could also turn off gas lighting, a gas stove, etc.
You are right, but I do also use 'switch off' these things. I don't recommend it, but you'll hear it.

I am fairly sure that I only 'turn off' a tap/faucet.

Status
Not open for further replies.