Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Is it one space or two space after a period.

I tried to find some info on this on the internet but very confusing. Any help please.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was taught to use two, but usage differs. Organizations that print a lot of material (like the US Government) use one space as a standard. It saves a lot of paper.

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
*Not a teacher

Only one space. As far as I know, no punctuation mark requires two spaces before or after it. However, as SoothingDave said, you may be allowed to use two spaces in certain situations.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is quite a lot of interesting information out there on this topic. And opinions can get as heated as the question of the proper way to install a roll of toilet paper.

There is quite a lot of interesting information out there on this topic. And opinions can get as heated as the question of the proper way to install a roll of toilet paper.

The most interesting is that web software treats any number of spaces as one space. I typed the first paragraph with 2 spaces, the second with 1, and the last with 6. They all posted the same.

So, it is a matter of style, but one space seems to be the accepted practice in software and for typographers today. Follow the style requested by your teachers or bosses in work for them, and do what you want in your own writing.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And in most word processors, you can choose the number as an option.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I was taught to use two, but in modern usage one space is becoming more and more prevalent.

I recommend you use one, 2010.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.