Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What are the differences between counter, worktop, desk & working station?

There are fixed sort of 'counter, worktop and desk' against the wall for ones doing works for convenience where there is no chair to fix with. So the users have to stand and do their work.

What shall I call this kind of working station?

ju

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Counter would be a long continuous shelf along the wall. A workstation would be more clearly defined. You could stand or sit at a work station. A desk would be like a workstation, but definitely for sitting at.

You could rewrite your description:

There is a fixed work station against the wall where one can conveniently work. There is no chair located at the work station, so the users must stand to do their work.

*** Not a teacher ***

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi Ju

A "counter" doesn't need to be fixed to a wall - see:
counter - definition of counter by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
"counter n
a horizontal surface, as in a shop or bank, over which business is transacted
2. (in some cafeterias) a long table on which food is served to customers"
As noted in the above definitions, "counter" tends to be used in a commercial context.

Similarly, although you can have a worktop over floor-level cupboards, mounted against a wall. you can also have a unit in the centre of a kitchen. i.e. not attached to a wall, that could include cupboards, a sink and a worktop for preparing food. "Worktop" could be used in either a commercial or domestic context. See: worktop - definition of worktop by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

"worktop n (Cookery) a surface in a kitchen, often of heat-resistant laminated plastic, that is used for food preparation"

The term "desk" is used, primarily, for reading and/or writing, but can also be used in other contexts. See: desk - definition of desk by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

"desk n.
A piece of furniture typically having a flat or sloping top for writing and often drawers or compartments.
A table, counter, or booth at which specified services or functions are performed: an information desk; a reception desk.
3. A department of a large organization in charge of a specified operation: a newspaper's city desk."

For "workstation" see:
workstation - definition of workstation by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
"workstation n.
An area, as in an office, outfitted with equipment and furnishings for one worker and usually including a computer.
A sophisticated standalone computer used for a specific purpose, such as imaging."

Regards
R21

PS I thoroughly recommend the Free Dictionary, quoted above, as it authoritatively answers such questions, both in an AME and UKE context.
PPS "There are fixed sort of 'counter, worktop and desk' against the wall for ones doing works for convenience where there is no chair to fix with. So the users have to stand and do their work. What shall I call this kind of working station?"
I'd probably call it a "work surface" see: work surface - definition of work surface by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

" - a horizontal surface for supporting objects used in working"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.