See/hear + object + V-ing or To infinitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Sometimes I see "See + object + V-ing" is used and other times I see "See + object + infinitive without To" is used?
Could you please which is the correct one! I knew the correct one before but now I have forgotten! In fact, I learn English just to understand and read English documents not only to do some English test in any examinations (this is only a requirement at university), so that's why sometimes I forget such things.

Thank you so much!

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Sometimes I see "See + object + V-ing" is used and other times I see "See + object + infinitive without To" is used?
Could you please which is the correct one! I knew the correct one before but now I have forgotten! In fact, I learn English just to understand and read English documents not only to do some English test in any examinations (this is only a requirement at university), so that's why sometimes I forget such things.

Thank you so much!
Both are correct, though there is a difference in meaning. Michael Swan, in "Practical English Usage," tells us to compare the following:
I saw her cross the road. (from one side to the other)
I saw her crossing the road. (in the middle of the road, on her way across.
"We use an infinitive after hear and see to say that we heard or saw the whole of an action or event, and we use an -ing form to suggest that we heard or saw part of an action.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.