Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi,

Which is correct?

1) Paper 1 has got more weightage than paper 2.
2) Paper 2 has got higher weightage than paper 2.

Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,

Which is correct?

2) Paper 2 has got higher weightage than paper 2.

Thanks
Both are incorrect "weightage" is not an English word. Do you mean, "Paper 1 is heavier than paper 2."? Or perhaps, "Paper 1 carries more weight than paper 2"?

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
*Not a teacher

Or maybe:

Paper 1 contains more information than paper 2.
Paper 1 contains more valuable information than paper 2.

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe he means "Paper 1 is weightier than paper 2."

In this case, I would say that bhaisahab's second suggestion would be an improvement.

*** Not a teacher ***

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If they're exams, Paper 1 might carry more marks than Paper 2.

Rover

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
2) Paper 2 has got higher weightage than paper 2

sebayanpendam.

If this is to do with how much the paper actually weighs, the most common measure is grams per square metre (gsm or g/m²). A paper with a higher gsm is said to be "heavier" or to have a higher "grammage".

If it's to do with how important the paper is (eg more marks or more information etc) then the other responses have covered this.

not a teacher

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: This rings a faint bell. I think a long time ago (late '70's early '80s) I heard people in the production department at Oxford University Press using this word. Even if my memory's right, 'weightage' was only ever used by professional print-workers, and by the sound of it it's been replaced by 'grammage'.

b

sebayanpendam

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi again,

I didn't know that weightage has never existed because many people (in my country) have used it. I am referring to the section in the paper which sort of has more deciding factors in determining the overall marks than the other one. i attended this workshop on marking English paper, and the speakers said although section 1 carries 30 marks, it had more weightage than section 2 which contains 50 marks because it's a free essay. section 1 is a directed writing. If a candidate scores band B for section 1, he will be in band B also. that's at least what she said because most candidates memorize scripts for free writing.

Thanks.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Section A has more weight than section B.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi again,

I didn't know that weightage has never existed because many people (in my country) have used it. I am referring to the section in the paper which sort of has more deciding factors in determining the overall marks than the other one. i attended this workshop on marking English paper, and the speakers said although section 1 carries 30 marks, it had more weightage than section 2 which contains 50 marks because it's a free essay. section 1 is a directed writing. If a candidate scores band B for section 1, he will be in band B also. that's at least what she said because most candidates memorize scripts for free writing.

Thanks.

As vil's quote suggests, that is an Asian English usage. In a Br Eng educational context, either 'weight' or 'weighting' would be used. FF's answer suggests an Am Eng preference for the first.

b

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi again,

Thanks.

Sebayanpendam,

Can you see the importance of context?

If you had given that information in message #1 instead of #10, a lot of people would have been spared the time and trouble of having to guess what you meant.

Rover

sebayanpendam

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malagasy
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Sebayanpendam,

Can you see the importance of context?

If you had given that information in message #1 instead of #10, a lot of people would have been spared the time and trouble of having to guess what you meant.

Rover

Sorry for the trouble. I just wanted to know the correct adjective which modifies 'weightage', and i didn't know 'weightage' was not even an English word, and all of the sudden became the centre of the issue here. despite all that, it has been very enlightening.

Thanks

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
... despite all that, it has been very enlightening.

Enlightening for me too because I'd never come across "weightage", hence my irrelevant post earlier.
I would agree with freezeframe on how this would be commonly expressed, in my experience, and add the variant "section A carries more weight than section B" which is often used in this sense – especially when it's a matter of one section having more influence on the result irrespective of the marks involved.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.