cherry maltezidou

Member Type
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
In order to improve my listening skill I have nova cinema on my TV. Last night I saw written on the screen : "the baddest husbands in America" As far as I know It should be "the worst"....Is it acceptable in American everyday spoken - written English???

Last edited:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In order to improve my listening skill I have nova cinema on my TV. Last night I saw written on the screen : "the baddest husbants in America" As far as I know It should be "the worst"....Is it acceptable in American everyday spoken - written English???
"The baddest husbands in America..." is incorrect. It should be "the worst husbands..."
Although frequently used as slang, "baddest" is poor grammar. The correct form of the word would be "worse" or "worst".

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In order to improve my listening skill I have nova cinema on my TV. Last night I saw written on the screen : "the baddest husbands in America" As far as I know It should be "the worst"....Is it acceptable in American everyday spoken - written English???

***** A NON-TEACHER's COMMENT *****

(1) When I was (much) younger, many young people in my country

would often say "That's bad!!!" when they wanted to express the

idea that something was really good.

(2) I think that this piece of slang is no longer used.

Respectfully yours,

James

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't know what they meant (if they meant bad or good) but baddest is a slang way of saying cool, awesome, tough. It's a synonym of badass. It's usually used to describe a particular type of a man (for example, a biker). Although it can also be a woman...

Status
Not open for further replies.