• Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

• Post Thanks / Like

to the class/class;during class?the class

"He's been asking many questions during class.","Do you want to hang out after class?"

When the speaker talks about one of the meetings in which students are taught a particular subject, is it up to the speaker to decide whether to use an article?

Can I say "during the class","in the class","for the class"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: to the class/class;during class?the class

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "He's been asking many questions during class.","Do you want to hang out after class?"

When the speaker talks about one of the meetings in which students are taught a particular subject, is it up to the speaker to decide whether to use an article?

Can I say "during the class","in the class","for the class"?

I think leaving out the article means during one of the classes in general. Saying "the class" would more likely refer to the current class period or perhaps the one immediately proceeding.

"He's been asking many questions during class" - asking questions throughout the school year

"He's been asking many questions during the class" - asking questions this class period, although it could also mean asking questions in this particular course

"Do you want to hang out after class?" - could be asking to hang out after this class period or after a future class - although the future class case would be more likely "Do you want to hang out after class sometime?"

"Do you want to hang out after the class?" - means after this class period

*** Not a teacher ***

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luschen View Post
    I think leaving out the article means during one of the classes in general. Saying "the class" would more likely refer to the current class period or perhaps the one immediately proceeding.

"He's been asking many questions during class" - asking questions throughout the school year

"He's been asking many questions during the class" - asking questions this class period, although it could also mean asking questions in this particular course

"Do you want to hang out after class?" - could be asking to hang out after this class period or after a future class - although the future class case would be more likely "Do you want to hang out after class sometime?"

"Do you want to hang out after the class?" - means after this class period

*** Not a teacher ***
    "I'm going to be taking a class on applied linguistics for the next semester/next semester."

I guess in this sentence there wouldn't be much difference if I said "next/the next semester." By saying "the next semester" I would only emphasize that I'm talking about the semester after this one. By saying "next semester" I might be emphasizing the semester that starts on Fabruary 1st after I'm done taking smestrial exams. Basically there is not much difference for the listener.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    "I'm going to be taking a class on applied linguistics for the next semester/next semester."

I guess in this sentence there wouldn't be much difference if I said "next/the next semester." By saying "the next semester" I would only emphasize that I'm talking about the semester after this one. By saying "next semester" I might be emphasizing the semester that starts on Fabruary 1st after I'm done taking smestrial exams. Basically there is not much difference for the listener.
    How about "read page 25 through page 30 for next class or the next class"? What's the difference?