• Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Switzerland
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

My accent issue in English

Hi All,

Fist of all, if you find any grammar mistakes in my writing please correct them .

There are many native Australian at my work and, most of the time I can not understand what they talk. Could anybody suggest me a way to improve what I want to do ? It is a big challenge for my career development because everyday I have to attend meeting with native Australians.

Secondly, I am not sure level of my knowledge in English grammar . Is there any online exam that I can do to access my self and find out which area of grammar needs to be improved?

I look forward to hearing from you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: My accent issue in English

There are many native Australians at my work and most of the time I can not understand them when they talk. Could anybody suggest to me a way to improve what I want to do? [This sentence doesn't make sense. What is it you want to do?] It is a big challenge for my career development because every day [every day, two words] I have to attend meetings with native Australians.

Secondly, I am not sure of my level of knowledge in English grammar. [Do not leave spaces between the end of a sentence and the period or question mark ending the sentence.] Is there any online exam that I can do to assess myself [myself, one word] and find out which areas of grammar need to be improved?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tamil
      • Home Country:
      • Switzerland
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

( if you find any grammar mistakes in the below sentences please correct them while you replying to my questions.)

Thanks you so much for correcting my grammar mistakes.

Could you please explain me why “ suggest me “ is wrong? I have heard people say explain me , tell me etc. So I thought “suggest me” is in correct form.

I really want to improve my writing skills because at my current work place I am required to document business processes which required very good writing skills. Every day I spend half an hour on reading. However, when I start to write something I usually struggle to properly structure the sentences which I am meant to express.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

If you have read "explain me" that is also wrong.

Explain to me.
    Suggest to me.
    Recommend to me.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Australians speak a very clear form of English, so you'll find you just get used to it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

NOT A TEACHER!

If you are serious in improving your writing skill, I highly recommend you to find a class which specialize in writing especially in grammar and vocabury areas. This way, you will be able to learn what it is that you need to pay attention to the most.

I understand your frustation for the accent. It is something that it will take time to become fimilair. If you want to get to used to it quickly, I would suggest to you to watch a lot of Australian TV show, radio show, or try to engage in a conversation with as many Australians as possible.

I hope you find my suggestion helpful..

Have a good day, MATE!