Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi

Here's one for the teachers....

On the BBC website (BBC News - Rice traced to single domestication event in China), today, I noticed the following comment about the origins of rice:

"Depending on how the researchers calibrated their clock, the data point to an origin of domesticated rice around 8,200 years ago."

Yes, I know that "data" is the plural of "datum", hence "point" rather than "points", but it does tend to jar a little on this NES's ear.

Is this another instance of: "Never end a sentence with a preposition, because a preposition is the wrong word to end a sentence with"?

Comments?
R21

PS I love Thai Hom Mali (Jasmine Rice), but the price has soared here to more than double that of regular rice!

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It doesn't bother me. But I'm used to reading boooooring scholarly texts. :-D

Data - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Usage Discussion of DATA

Data leads a life of its own quite independent of datum, of which it was originally the plural. It occurs in two constructions: as a plural noun (like earnings), taking a plural verb and plural modifiers (as these, many, a few) but not cardinal numbers, and serving as a referent for plural pronouns (as they, them); and as an abstract mass noun (like information), taking a singular verb and singular modifiers (as this, much, little), and being referred to by a singular pronoun (it). Both constructions are standard. The plural construction is more common in print, evidently because the house style of several publishers mandates it.

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi freezeframe

Many thanks for your post - I feel a lot better after reading the quote:

"......and as an abstract mass noun (like information), taking a singular verb and singular modifiers (as this, much, little), and being referred to by a singular pronoun (it).", which is exactly how I would interpret it in such a case!

I used to look up to BBC English as being something to be emulated, but am a little disappointed by their "house-style" if that is what is driving the grammar here.

Best regards
R21

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In defense of BBC...

It could be that they copied that usage from the scientific article that was used as the source. As you well know sciences have their own usage conventions that differ from "normal" English.*

*just like other disciplines

Status
Not open for further replies.