Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi all,

May I know the difference between shutter, jalousie and window blind? I've looked them up in the dictionary, but they are more or less the same.

Thx!!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've never seen the word jalousie, and it turns out the window immediately to my left is one.

A shutter goes outside the window, on the outside of the house. Mine are purely ornamental, but many can actually close and protect the window.

Blinds go inside the window and can be opened or closed, raised or lowered, to preseve privacy and block light.

The jalousie is simply a window that opens in slats. It opens the same way blinds do.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I believe a jalosie can lock, preventing young gallants from gaining window access to your juvenile daughter, whereas shutters usually only block the light. That's in any case what 18th Century French comedy teaches us. And the opera.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I believe a jalosie can lock, preventing young gallants from gaining window access to your juvenile daughter, whereas shutters usually only block the light. That's in any case what 18th Century French comedy teaches us. And the opera.

Those aren't gallants! At least that's what Mozart teaches us. :cool:

menueditor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Oh! Thanks everyone!!

robinkipson

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I want to modify my home and I want to buy blinds for my room. I am here wondering to know difference between shutter, jalousie and window blind and also suggest me which is the best blinds.

curates-egg

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Germany
I want to modify my home and I want to buy blinds for my room. I am here wondering to know difference between shutter, jalousie and window blind and also suggest me which is the best blinds.
1. try reading the posts above.
2. Go into a store, or look in a catalogue, and see what the type of thing you are looking for is called by the manufacturer/seller.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I want to modify my home and I want to buy blinds for my room. I would like to know the difference between shutter, jalousie and window blind and also which are the best blinds.
This is not a language question.

Status
Not open for further replies.