Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

In the movie "Meet the Robinsons":

Goob says :" I love baseball. It's my destiny to play that game. I don't really care about winning. Well, like, now I do, 'cause...like, we've lost every game. I've gotten tired of it. I'm workin', like, so hard. All the balls are gettin' thrown to me. I'm tryin' to catch, like, every one. All of the people in the outfield are all lookin' around and...come on! Let's play some baseball, okay? Not the lazy game"

What is the meaning of "not the lazy game" in that context?

Thanks a lot.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Dear all,

In the movie "Meet the Robinsons":

Goob says :" I love baseball. It's my destiny to play that game. I don't really care about winning. Well, like, now I do, 'cause...like, we've lost every game. I've gotten tired of it. I'm workin', like, so hard. All the balls are gettin' thrown to me. I'm tryin' to catch, like, every one. All of the people in the outfield are all lookin' around and...come on! Let's play some baseball, okay? Not the lazy game"

What is the meaning of "not the lazy game" in that context?

Thanks a lot.

Without hearing how the quote is said, I'll hazard a guess.

It seems to me it can mean either that

the people are in the outfield are thinking that he should play a real game not a lazy one" (i.e. he should put more effort into it)

or that

baseball is not a lazy game (i.e. it takes a lot of effort, it's not easy)

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Without hearing how the quote is said, I'll hazard a guess.

It seems to me it can mean either that

the people are in the outfield are thinking that he should play a real game not a lazy one" (i.e. he should put more effort into it)

or that

baseball is not a lazy game (i.e. it takes a lot of effort, it's not easy)

Why he says "the"? When I googled it, It seems from the different comments that he is humourous. What's humourous in that?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.