• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Compress or reduce?

Hi,

I am not if I express myself correctly using this word - compress, as I am told it was incorrect in the previous post - https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...tml#post746937

Earth is relatively insignificant on the cosmic scale. It is but a small dot in the vastness of space but all who live on it call this dot home, and that whether from cosmic scale or from human scale, every organic or geometric form that contains life, emotions, consciousness, pain and joy can be compressed ontologically into a dot that one calls himself as 'home'.

maybe I should use - reduced instead?

Please let me know if anything does not make sense in this idea. I will try to explain and correct it.

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Compress or reduce?

Quote Originally Posted by iamtime View Post
    Hi,

I am not if I express myself correctly using this word - compress, as I am told it was incorrect in the previous post - https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/a...tml#post746937

Earth is relatively insignificant on the cosmic scale. It is but a small dot in the vastness of space but all who live on it call this dot home, and that whether from cosmic scale or from human scale, every organic or geometric form that contains life, emotions, consciousness, pain and joy can be compressed ontologically into a dot that one calls himself as 'home'.

maybe I should use - reduced instead?

Please let me know if anything does not make sense in this idea. I will try to explain and correct it.

Thanks.

Your sentence is confusing. I'm guessing you mean to say that life, emotions, consciousness, pain, and joy belong to the being(s) that inhabit(s) the organic or geometric forms. Because I don't understand how geometric forms can have any kind of emotions, etc.

"Compressed ontologically" doesn't make sense to me either. Reduced suggests that all the complexity of something can be conceptually condensed into a kind of shorthand concept. i.e. when we say "home" we mean something ontologically complex that has been condensed into this one word/concept which we term "home".

Also, you shouldn't say "compressed ontologically" because that is absurd. You cannot compress/reduce/condense something by means of ontology yet that is what your phrasing suggests.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by freezeframe View Post
    Your sentence is confusing. I'm guessing you mean to say that life, emotions, consciousness, pain, and joy belong to the being(s) that inhabit(s) the organic or geometric forms. Because I don't understand how geometric forms can have any kind of emotions, etc.

"Compressed ontologically" doesn't make sense to me either. Reduced suggests that all the complexity of something can be conceptually condensed into a kind of shorthand concept. i.e. when we say "home" we mean something ontologically complex that has been condensed into this one word/concept which we term "home".

Also, you shouldn't say "compressed ontologically" because that is absurd. You cannot compress/reduce/condense something by means of ontology yet that is what your phrasing suggests.
    Thanks so much for your help, freezeframe. I know my mistakes now.

How does it sound if I put it this way?

Earth is relatively insignificant on the cosmic scale. It is but a small dot in the vastness of space but all who live on it call this dot home, while each of us is the ontology of home; therefore each of us is ontologically a home.

Does it make a better sense to you?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iamtime View Post
    Thanks so much for your help, freezeframe. I know my mistakes now.

How does it sound if I put it this way?

Earth is relatively insignificant on the cosmic scale. It is but a small dot in the vastness of space but all who live on it call this dot home, while each of us is the ontology of home; therefore each of us is ontologically a home.

Does it make a better sense to you?

Thanks.
    No.

You should look up the word ontology. I don't think you understand what it means. I suggest looking in an encyclopedia within an appropriate field. I assume this is for some phenomenology assignment (were you the one asking about some phenomenology texts earlier?). If it is, you should consult an encyclopedia of philosophy.