Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The question was regarding the same usage of "as" and the answer was 2, but why can't 1 be an answer? "As an owl"s "as" sounds "like" and "as a beautiful woman"'s as also sounds "like", but they seem to have slight difference. Is it a grammar-wise difference or meaning-wise one?

Question> Choose the same usaged one in the example.
ex)She appeared to me as a beautiful woman.
1)The old man is as wise as an owl.
2)Many students thought him as an intelligent teacher.
3).......
4).......

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The question was regarding the same usage of "as" and the answer was 2, but why can't 1 be the answer? "As an owl"s "as" sounds "like" ('as' doesn't sound like 'like'; they sound quite differently; but 'as' can mean 'like') and "as a beautiful woman"'s as also sounds "like", but they seem to have slight difference. Is it a grammatical difference or [STRIKE]meaning-wise[/STRIKE] a semantic one?

Question> Choose the same usage[STRIKE]d[/STRIKE] as the one in the example.
ex)She appeared to me as a beautiful woman.
2)Many students thought of him as an intelligent teacher.
3).......
4).......

In 1 you're comparing 2 things: the old man is like an owl in that both are wise.

In original sentence and in 2 as is used to show how the thing/person is regarded: I think she's a beautiful woman, students think he's an intelligence teacher. Nothing is being compared.

Please take more care in your posts, especially when you're merely copying something from your book.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
She appeared to me as a beautiful woman

This suggests to me that this was the form she used and one that could be changed, by, say, witchcraft or disguise:
She appeared to me as a beautiful woman and to him as a crone.
I wouldn't use the sentence as a way of saying she was beautiful. I'd say she seemed/looked beautiful to me.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Ophelia looked "beautified."

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In 1 you're comparing 2 things: the old man is like an owl in that both are wise.

In original sentence and in 2 as is used to show how the thing/person is regarded: I think she's a beautiful woman, students think he's an intelligence teacher. Nothing is being compared.

Please take more care in your posts, especially when you're merely copying something from your book.

This is a question from a mid-term exam of a middle school in Korea and I had to explain to a student, and the question was like this. The answer was 2, but the example's "as a beautiful woman" sounded awkward to me.
I think like in the following.

ex."as a beautiful woman" - as means "like" as a preposition.
1.The old man is as wise as an owl. - the seocnd as means "similar to" as an adverb.
2.Many students thought him as an intelligent teacher - as means "title or function"

But the thing is is 2 the only correct answer? If we categorize the three in terms of word class, ex and 2 will fall into prepostions, while 2 falls into adverbs, but there shoud be some semantic difference between ex and 2 as "like" and "qualification". What do you think? I have to choose the correct answer and explain why it is.
*Many students thought him as an intelligent teacher - Doesn't "thought him" make sense? Does only "thought of him" make sense? This was in the question, not from me.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This is a question from a mid-term exam of a middle school in Korea and I had to explain to a student, and the question was like this. The answer was 2, but the example's "as a beautiful woman" sounded awkward to me.

1.The old man is as wise as an owl. - the seocnd as means "similar to" as an adverb.
2.Many students thought him as an intelligent teacher - as means "title or function"

But the thing is is 2 the only correct answer? If we categorize the three in terms of word class, ex and 2 will fall into prepostions, while 2 falls into adverbs, but there shoud be some semantic difference between ex and 2 as "like" and "qualification". What do you think? I have to choose the correct answer and explain why it is.
*Many students thought him as an intelligent teacher - Doesn't "thought him" make sense? Does only "thought of him" make sense? This was in the question, not from me.

I don't understand half of what you said. "Title or function"? It seems you're over-complicating it. Perhaps someone else can respond. :-?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

But the thing is is 2 the only correct answer?
Hmm, you don't have the answer yet? Have you read the replies so far? Yes, 2 is the only correct answer.
She appeared to me as a beautiful woman. It seemed to me that she was a beautiful woman. She seemed to be a beautiful woman.
This doesn't say that the man seemed to be an owl, or even that he seemed to be as wise as an owl. It says he was as wise as an owl.
2)Many students thought him as an intelligent teacher. It seemed to many students that he was an intelligent teacher. He seemed to be an intelligent teacher.

1) is a comparative. "as X as Y".
0) and 2) are not.

If we categorize the three in terms of word class, ex and 2 will fall into prepostions, while 2 falls into adverbs, but there shoud be some semantic difference between ex and 2 as "like" and "qualification". What do you think?
Yes, you are right, but that's not as important a distinction as the one that appears obvious to the rest of us. Besides, 'as' in the 0 and 2 mean something like "in the form of". She didn't appear like a beautiful woman (she appeared to be one); he didn't appear like an intelligent teacher (he appeared to be one) On the other hand, the old man was wise like an owl.
'As an owl' modifies an adjective; 'as a beautiful woman' and 'as an intelligent teacher' do not.

I have to choose the correct answer and explain why it is.
Yes. If you've transcribed it correctly, it doesn't make sense anyway.
R

Status
Not open for further replies.