• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

What does 'the situation' indicate?

“Sharper focus and smarter decisions.” I’m sure you all know the feeling. It’s the rare state when it seems you can do no wrong. In such a state, you’re shooting your arrows and every arrow is landing right on target where you aim. Or perhaps solutions to tough problems are coming to you so easily that you wonder why the problems seemed impossible to solve before. For most of us,these moments of high performance are rare. Why is it that sometimes you fire on all cylinders and at other times you can’t even start the engine? The answer may be this: you’re at your best when you get your mind out of the way from <the situation.>
    -------------------------------------------------------

Reading this passage and I started to wonder about what the last 'the situation' meant. In this passage, would 'the situation' be indicating the same situation as the 'rare state,' 'moments of high performances,' or would it be indidcating to a similar situation as 'the problems (in the 5th sentence)' and 'when you fire on all cylinders t other times and you can't even star the engine' ?

I'd like to know which, and why it would become so. Thank you!

(The passage above is from a English workbook, "Reading Booster")

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: What does 'the situation' indicate?

Quote Originally Posted by Pheobe Choi View Post
    “Sharper focus and smarter decisions.” I’m sure you all know the feeling. It’s the rare state when it seems you can do no wrong. In such a state, you’re shooting your arrows and every arrow is landing right on target where you aim. Or perhaps solutions to tough problems are coming to you so easily that you wonder why the problems seemed impossible to solve before. For most of us,these moments of high performance are rare. Why is it that sometimes you fire on all cylinders and at other times you can’t even start the engine? The answer may be this: you’re at your best when you get your mind out of the way from <the situation.>
    The author is talking about not over-thinking the problem you're having (i.e. the situation you are in or what is happening).