Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Good afternoon,
I have a question about Pride and prejudice:

Why Elizabeth was disappointed when Miss Charlotte accepted Mr. Collins' proposal? and she said "no real confidence could ever subsist between them".(Elizabeth and Lucas )
Eliza rejected Mr. Collins' proposal despite the fact that he attempted to persuade her to marry him but in vain,then he was hurt in his feeling; so why the Bennet's family were angry towards Lucas family?. It is normal that when Eliza refused to marry him, he will look for another eligible girl, so whether he marry Lucas or another woman, the estate will not be in their possession /the Bennet family/after the death of Mr.bennet
It was something reasonable, because, it was perhaps for Lucas , the only opportunity ,that would secure her from need, and she has believed that she had no choice.
I do not think that she was angry toward her because she taught that Lucas could not be happy, and married him for money ,in other words Lucas pay much importance to money.

So,what do you think about this?
Regards

N.b: I read currently this novel

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Is there a language related question in this post?

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Is there a language related question in this post?
Oh! excuse me:oops:, so, It is not the right forum,could you please move it to another forum ?
Sorry

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Could you please move this thread to general memeber discussion?
Excuse me If I bother you:-(.
Regards

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've moved your thread.
I love this book.

Elizabeth was disappointed in Charlotte for settling for someone who was, frankly, a pompous jerk. Elizabeth would not accept him because she knew they would make each other happy; she is convinced her dear friend Charlotte will not be happy either.

Elizabeth's family (specifically, her mother and the younger sisters) do know that Mr. Collins will inherit their estate, and whoever marries him will be the new mistress of their home. But they did not expect it to be someone they knew. Mrs. Bennett is easily able to convince herself of facts that are not true. (Remember how she tells everyone of Lydia's marriage later, and seems to actually believe it was as romantic and beneficial as she tells it.) To cover her own disappointment that Elizbeth will not inherit their own home, she convinces herself that Charlotte deliberately set about trying to snatch Mr. Collins (and their estate) from the Bennett family.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
I've moved your thread.
I love this book.

Elizabeth was disappointed in Charlotte for settling for someone who was, frankly, a pompous jerk. Elizabeth would not accept him because she knew they would make each other happy; she is convinced her dear friend Charlotte will not be happy either.

Elizabeth's family (specifically, her mother and the younger sisters) do know that Mr. Collins will inherit their estate, and whoever marries him will be the new mistress of their home. But they did not expect it to be someone they knew. Mrs. Bennett is easily able to convince herself of facts that are not true. (Remember how she tells everyone of Lydia's marriage later, and seems to actually believe it was as romantic and beneficial as she tells it.) To cover her own disappointment that Elizbeth will not inherit their own home, she convinces herself that Charlotte deliberately set about trying to snatch Mr. Collins (and their estate) from the Bennett family.

Thank you very much for moving the thread and for your help , you are very polite:-D
It will be very nice if we have a forum called literary discussion

All the best;-)

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Feel free to start threads to discuss any book or movie or play or painting that interests you.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Feel free to start threads to discuss any book or movie or play or painting that interests you.
Thank you for your good intention
Reagards

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Hello,
I hope that you had had a nice day:).

Mr.Darcy offered Lizzy a proposal to marry her, and revealed his strong feeling that he admired her for a long time, but Elizabeth refused him beacause she had judged him unfairly.

So, my question is :

Why Mr.Darcy dissembled his feeling for quite a long time? And when they had met either in Netherfield or in Hunsford or wherever, he did not talk to her so much, just greeting or looking at her, moreover he was extremely cautious and felt the danger of paying Elizabeth too much attention.

Is it because he was too proud or he had some real reasons or justifications ?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thank you very much for moving the thread and for your help , you are very polite:-D
It will be very nice if we have a forum called literary discussion

All the best;-)

We do- I have moved the thread there. ;-)

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
We do- I have moved the thread there. ;-)
Okay ,as you want but I think this forum is "devoted to writing essays, articles and stories where you can get help and advice about structure and style from other authors." But I just want to discuss the novel.Anyway thank you teacher:).
Best regards

Last edited:

elvis93

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Albania
Current Location
Italy
Hello,
I hope that you had had a nice day:).

Mr.Darcy offered Lizzy a proposal to marry her, and revealed his strong feeling that he admired her for a long time, but Elizabeth refused him beacause she had judged him unfairly.

So, my question is :

Why Mr.Darcy dissembled his feeling for quite a long time? And when they had met either in Netherfield or in Hunsford or wherever, he did not talk to her so much, just greeting or looking at her, moreover he was extremely cautious and felt the danger of paying Elizabeth too much attention.

Is it because he was too proud or he had some real reasons or justifications ?

Undoubtedly pride is one of the most obvious reason.
But that's not the only one.
It's important to notice the period when the story takes place : the eighteenth century.
A nobleman would have been seen as impure or insane if he had married a poor girl with such a low connections.
It's evident that Austen wants to highlight the struggle between "reason" and "feelings".
Darcy uses reason when he tends to avoid her or not speak to her.
Only afterwards he realizes that it's useless to put up a fight against "The Heart".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's important to notice the period when the story takes place : the [STRIKE]eighteenth[/STRIKE] early nineteenth century.
A nobleman would have been seen as impure or insane if he had married a poor girl with such a low connections.
I don't think 'impure' is an appropriate word here, though he would certainly have been considered very foolish. While the Bennetts were a little lower down the social scale than Darcy, and were tainted by having relations in trade, Darcy was a gentleman, not a nobleman; Lizzy's father was also a gentleman, as Lizzy pointed out quite sharply.

elvis93

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Albania
Current Location
Italy
Thanks for correcting me Mr. Fivejedjon.
That's interesting: I've always thought of Darcy as an exponent of the high aristocracy, i.e. a nobleman, because of his family relationship with Lady Catherine de Bourgh and his wealth :D

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
A nobleman would have been seen as impure or insane if he had married a poor girl with such a low connections./Especially lady Catherine who attempted to do everything in her power to oppose such a marriage which could, as she thought, damage Mr Darcy's position in society, moreover, Mr darcy himself was worried about marring Lizzy who belong to a family so much below his own in social importance/
It's evident that Austen wants to highlight the struggle between "reason" and "feelings".
Darcy uses reason when he tends to avoid her or not speak to her.
Only afterwards he realizes that it's useless to put up a fight against "The Heart"Good idea:up:.
Thank you very much Elvis for your answer
I wish you all the best,

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
I don't think 'impure' is an appropriate word here, though he would certainly have been considered very foolish. While the Bennetts were a little lower down the social scale than Darcy, and were tainted by having relations in trade, Darcy was a gentleman, not a nobleman; Lizzy's father was also a gentleman, as Lizzy pointed out quite sharply.Yes ,you are right, when Lizzy talked to Lady Catherine she mentioned this:
``In marrying your nephew, I should not consider myself as quitting that sphere. He is a gentleman; I am a gentleman's daughter; so far we are equal.''
``True. You are a gentleman's daughter. But who was your mother? Who are your uncles and aunts? Do not imagine me ignorant of their condition.''
``Whatever my connections may be,'' said Elizabeth, ``if your nephew does not object to them, they can be nothing to you.''
But I think ,and as my teacher told us, that the bennets' family belong to the middle class while Darcy and Bingley to the aristochracy one, and Darcy himself mentioned this more than once.We can perceive the low position of her family by examinaning the behaviour of Lydia when she run away with Wickham, and the one of her mother and her sisters which was almost the time irritating and not acceptable and Elizabeth herself admitted that
Thank you sir Jed for your participation in this discussion
Best regards

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That's interesting: I've always thought of Darcy as an exponent of the high aristocracy, i.e. a nobleman, because of his family relationship with Lady Catherine de Bourgh and his wealth :D
Darcy was very closely connected to the nobilty as the grandson of an earl. Indeed, had the earl been his paternal, rather than his maternal, grandfather, Darcy would have inherited the title.

However, in England/Britain, the right of younger offspring and females to titles of nobility has always been more restricted than in some other European countries. Darcy's mother would have had the title of 'Lady', but Darcy himself had no title. (If his mother had married a man with a title, Darcy would have inherited that title on the death of his father).

Darcy might be loosely described as a member of the aristocracy, but not of the nobility.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Thanks for correcting me Mr. Fivejedjon.
That's was my opinion too,
Best wishes,

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Darcy might be loosely described as a member of the aristocracy, but not of the nobility.
So, there is a difference between an aristochrat and a noble.
Thank you for your clarification teacher:up:.I wonder If you have the same point of view of Elvis?
Respectfully yours,

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've moved your thread.
I love this book.

That's a great answer; but I don't find him a pompous jerk; I feel he was portrayed as formal and superficial, or lacking down-to-earth sincerity. His competitor was less handsome, but really kind. Just my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.