• Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

• Post Thanks / Like

the most disinterested group

Hello,

Here are the lines from one of my students' work:

The biggest popularity Zapp’s games have among 15-18 age group, which consumes 37.5% of this games. Two next groups are 19-25 and 26-35 age groups. They buy 25% and 20% of Zapp’s games and consoles respectively. The most disinterested group is 36+ age group, which buys only 5% of Zapp’s games.

Never mind the mistakes, what is a better word choice instead of 'disinterested" in this context?

Thank you in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: the most disinterested group

Quote Originally Posted by vectra View Post
    Hello,

Here are the lines from one of my students' work:

The biggest popularity Zapp’s games have among 15-18 age group, which consumes 37.5% of this games. Two next groups are 19-25 and 26-35 age groups. They buy 25% and 20% of Zapp’s games and consoles respectively. The most disinterested group is 36+ age group, which buys only 5% of Zapp’s games.

Never mind the mistakes, what is a better word choice instead of 'disinterested" in this context?

Thank you in advance.
    I would say "the least interested group".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Disinterested is supposed to mean objective, not bound by any interfering financial or other interest. Uninterested means not interested.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Disinterested is supposed to mean objective, not bound by any interfering financial or other interest. Uninterested means not interested.
    So, I am not interested in buying some computer games because they do not interest me, and my lack of interest is based on my ideas or principles or likes and dislikes, so I am disinterested as well. What should I tell the student?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

No, disinterested is not about whether you are interested, but whether you are impartial, as in being a good and fair judge in a trial.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

No. "Disinterested" does not mean the same as "uninterested."

If you are not interested in something for any reason, you are "uninterested."

If you are acting as a neutral party to some sort of dispute, then you are "disinterested."

The referee/official who is officiating a football game is very interested in the game that is going on. He has to watch the game closely. You would not an "uninterested" official. He would miss crucial calls and infractions.

You do want him to be "disinterested." He should not care who wins the game. He should not be a fan of the one team. He should not have a wager on the outcome. He should be fair and make the same calls for either team.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    No, disinterested is not about whether you are interested, but whether you are impartial, as in being a good and fair judge in a trial.
    You might find this interesting:

disinterested - definition. American English definition of disinterested by Macmillan Dictionary

not interested. Many people think that this use of the word is not correct, and prefer to use uninterested.
    Disinterested - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

a : not having the mind or feelings engaged : not interested <telling them in a disinterested voice — Tom Wicker> <disinterested in women — J. A. Brussel> b : no longer interested <husband and wife become disinterested in each other — T. I. Rubin>

: free from selfish motive or interest : unbiased <a disinterested decision> <disinterested intellectual curiosity is the lifeblood of real civilization — G. M. Trevelyan>

Usage Discussion of DISINTERESTED

Disinterested and uninterested have a tangled history. Uninterested originally meant impartial, but this sense fell into disuse during the 18th century. About the same time the original sense of disinterested also disappeared, with uninterested developing a new sense—the present meaning—to take its place. The original sense of uninterested is still out of use, but the original sense of disinterested revived in the early 20th century. The revival has since been under frequent attack as an illiteracy and a blurring or loss of a useful distinction. Actual usage shows otherwise. Sense 2 of disinterested is still its most frequent sense, especially in edited prose; it shows no sign of vanishing. A careful writer may choose sense 1a of disinterested in preference to uninterested for emphasis <teaching the letters of the alphabet to her wiggling and supremely disinterested little daughter — C. L. Sulzberger>. Further, disinterested has developed a sense (1b), perhaps influenced by sense 1 of the prefix dis-, that contrasts with uninterested <when I grow tired or disinterested in anything, I experience a disgust — Jack London (letter, 1914)>. Still, use of senses 1a and 1b will incur the disapproval of some who may not fully appreciate the history of this word or the subtleties of its present use.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I got it this time. I feel the time has come to gather all the answers by English gurus to my posts and create a glog to show to my students tons of valuable information.
    Last edited by vectra; 09-May-2011 at 22:06. Reason: punctuation

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

• Post Thanks / Like

I'll add a couple of examples from COCA and COHA.

"Of course, it's your career," Tobias continued with a disinterested shrug." You know what your bosses want better than I do."
    Bond Elam, The Anunnaki Legacy, 2010

This information was delivered in a disinterested tone, as if the man were describing a matter of no particular moment.
    Matthew Hughes, The Gist Hunter, 2005

"It is quite a handsome boat," he said in his lazy English voice that rose and fell with a sort of minor complaint. "I was in charge of a boat like that in my last position, but the owner was disinterested in navigation and we did little about it."
    Walter Gilkyson, Debt, 1935

Note the ambiguity of the phrase "disinterested observer".

Note also this interesting sentence:
    I have wondered at your fortitude and disinterested interest in others
    Caroline Lee Hentz, Ernest Linwood or, The Inner Life of the Author, 1856