how do you make the /ng/,/g/ and /k/ sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hey y'all! how do you make those sounds? feel free to give some tips!:)

Last edited:

curates-egg

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Germany
This appears to be the third or fourth thread you have started on th and ng sounds. . Aren't you bored yet? I am. :)

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
This appears to be the third or fourth thread you have started on th and ng sounds. . Aren't you bored yet? I am. :)

Well, you're bored because you keep seeing the same post, aren't you?
(To me/For me?), learning phonetics isn't boring. Plus, I already told moderator to close other thread, yet they have yet to do so.

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Well, you're bored because you keep seeing the same post, aren't you?
(To me/For me?), learning phonetics isn't boring. Plus, I already told moderator to close other thread, yet they have yet to do so.
Moderators don't have to close threads on demand. I see no reason to start a new thread with exactly the same question. If your question hasn't been answered in a satisfactory way, the right thing to do is to ask again in the same thread with an explanation of why the answers given so far haven't been satisfactory.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Moderators don't have to close threads on demand. I see no reason to start a new thread with exactly the same question. If your question hasn't been answered in a satisfactory way, the right thing to do is to ask again in the same thread with an explanation of why the answers given so far haven't been satisfactory.

Well, my pc was on the fritz two days ago( Is this sentence grammatically correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.)
Can someone explain how to use HAVE BEEN/HAD BEEN/was in sentence?
To raise the back of the tongue to touch my soft palate, I put my tip of the tongue at the bottom teeth..so my back of the tongue would move up n touch the soft palate. (Actually I'm not really sure what SOFT PALATE is.:))
But when I say the word close or clam,my tongue is not so DEXTEROUS.I think the way I pronounce the word is so WEIRD. So, please guide me if you can!

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, my pc was on the fritz two days ago( Is this sentence grammatically correct? Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

In what way is this relevant? Incidentally, the sentence makes sense, but 'on the fritz' is very informal.

This is not the place for that question. It has been asked and answered in another thread. Are you being intentionally obtuse? To what end?

To raise the back of the tongue to touch my soft palate, I put my tip of the tongue at the bottom teeth..so my back of the tongue would move up n touch the soft palate. (Actually I'm not really sure what SOFT PALATE is.:))
Then FIND OUT - marvellous thing, the Internet. :-| People who make no effort to find out new things - except by posting annoyingly repetitive questions - can't expect to learn anything much.

But when I say the word close or clam,my tongue is not so DEXTEROUS.I think the way I pronounce the word is so WEIRD. So, please guide me if you can!

I've sent you a PM.

b

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I've sent you a PM.

b

In what way is this relevant? Incidentally, the sentence makes sense, but 'on the fritz' is very informal? Well, I said so because I couldn't reply birdeen's call immediately. so in another words, that's the reason why i couldn't reply him earlier.

This is not the place for that question. It has been asked and answered in another thread. Are you being intentionally obtuse? To what end?

Did I ever ask that question? sry if I did! I'm not that kind of person, though.

To raise the back of the tongue to touch my soft palate, I put my tip of the tongue at the bottom teeth..so my back of the tongue would move up n touch the soft palate. (Actually I'm not really sure what SOFT PALATE is.)
Then FIND OUT - marvellous thing, the Internet. People who make no effort to find out new things - except by posting annoyingly repetitive questions - can't expect to learn anything much.

Well, you can say, I'm dense. I'm still not sure about the position of the SOFT PALATE even I looked through the picture. I'm sorry for being so annoying. I just can't help asking question as I'm an English fanatic. I wish I was a native speaker like you. so I wouldn't been asking this same lame question.

I've sent you a PM?
Well, I just replied your PM. Though I'm not a very good person, I know what I should do and don't. Thank you for your guidance!:) By the way, Please ignore everything about me if you really loathe me. Thank You!

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
To find your soft palate, touch the back side of your upper teeth with the tip of your tongue. Start sliding the tip of your tongue back. You will first touch your gums, then your alveolar ridge (an uneven and hard surface), then your hard palate (even, hard). If you keep sliding the tip of your tongue back, pressing it against the roof of your mouth, you will find out that at some point the roof of your mouth bends up and becomes a soft surface. That's where your soft palate is. For some people, touching the soft palate with the tip of their tongue may be impossible. If that is your case, my advice won't work.

Last edited:

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
To find your soft palate, touch the back side of your upper teeth with the tip of your tongue. Start sliding the tip of your tongue back. You will first touch your gums, then your alveolar ridge (an uneven and hard surface), then your hard palate (even, hard). If you keep sliding the tip of your tongue back, pressing it against the roof of your mouth, you will find out that at some point the roof of your mouth bends up and becomes a soft surface. That's where your soft palate is. For some people, touching the soft palate with the tip of their tongue may be impossible. If that is your case, my advice won't work.

Well, thank you for your explanation.
Is the area which close to your upper front teeth called alveolar ridge?(I mean it's just right behind the upper front teeth, right? ( I saw the picture but I still don't know if the position is alveolar ridge.)
I kind of know the position of the soft palate. Is it in the middle of the back position? When I put my finger into my mouth deeper,i can touch something soft in the middle. I guess that's soft palate, right?
Well, by the way, this could be the last reply about this question because I don't wish to annoy those people like BobK,CuratesEgg. I think they've been suffered because of me. Hereby, I want to thank you for answering my question all the time. Please answer my another question related to er,ɛ,dn and tn combination sounds if possible. I really appreciate what you did to me.:) You're a great woman I've ever known. (I'm not being MUSHY.:))

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Well, thank you for your explanation.
Is the area which close to your upper front teeth called alveolar ridge?(I mean it's just right behind the upper front teeth, right? ( I saw the picture but I still don't know if the position is alveolar ridge.)
Yes. As I said its surface is uneven. It's easy to recognize.
I kind of know the position of the soft palate. Is it in the middle of the back position? When I put my finger into my mouth deeper,i can touch something soft in the middle. I guess that's soft palate, right?
I'm sorry, but I can't answer this question. I haven't seen what you touched with your finger and I don't know what you consider the middle. Have you tried doing what I advised in my previous post?
Well, by the way, this could be the last reply about this question because I don't wish to annoy those people like BobK,CuratesEgg. I think they've been suffered because of me. Hereby, I want to thank you for answering my question all the time. Please answer my another question related to er,ɛ,dn and tn combination sounds if possible. I really appreciate what you did to me.:) You're a great guy I've ever known. (I'm not being MUSHY.:))
Your welcome. Instead of stopping asking questions altogether, you might want to consider paying attention to the answers.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes. As I said its surface is uneven. It's easy to recognize.

I can't see, though. But I think I get the position right!
I'm sorry, but I can't answer this question. I haven't seen what you touched with your finger and I don't know what you consider the middle. Have you tried doing what I advised in my previous post?
Well, I think I have. you told me to raise your back of the tongue and touch the soft palate and I did. But I don't know if I'm doing it properly.
Your welcome. Instead of stopping asking questions altogether, you might want to consider paying attention to the answers.

well, maybe I'm not really paying attention to those replies well. But I can tell you for sure, I read every word they replied me and then I replied them right back. I think I ought to reread those thread I posted before. Thanks again!:)
By the way, I'm going offline as I've been using computer since this morning. Nighty night! See you tomorrow!

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
If you reply to my post in the quotation box, please use a different color. It's very likely that I won't notice your reply if it's the same color as the rest of the quotation. Or just reply outside of the quotation box.
Well, I think I have. you told me to raise your back of the tongue and touch the soft palate and I did. But I don't know if I'm doing it properly.
No, this is not what I said. I said

To find your soft palate, touch the back side of your upper teeth with the tip of your tongue. Start sliding the tip of your tongue back. You will first touch your gums, then your alveolar ridge (an uneven and hard surface), then your hard palate (even, hard). If you keep sliding the tip of your tongue back, pressing it against the roof of your mouth, you will find out that at some point the roof of your mouth bends up and becomes a soft surface. That's where your soft palate is.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
If you reply to my post in the quotation box, please use a different color. It's very likely that I won't notice your reply if it's the same color as the rest of the quotation. Or just reply outside of the quotation box. I didn't know I could do so
No, this is not what I said. I said

To find your soft palate, touch the back side of your upper teeth with the tip of your tongue. Start sliding the tip of your tongue back. You will first touch your gums, then your alveolar ridge (an uneven and hard surface), then your hard palate (even, hard). If you keep sliding the tip of your tongue back, pressing it against the roof of your mouth, you will find out that at some point the roof of your mouth bends up and becomes a soft surface. That's where your soft palate is.

I'll give it a shot before making any other reply. Thank you!:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.