Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Why did the writer say "the campus", not schools? Campus seems to have the meaning of only buildings.

ex)I remember in high school a physician who came to talk to us about the dangers of smoking,....But a couple of the guys saw the doctor himself lighting up when he got back in his car after the lecture. ...His speech was just the talk of the campus. .....

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"The campus" can refer figuratively to the faculty and the student body of a university. "Talk of the campus" means that everyone at the university was talking about it. Compare to "talk of the town."

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"The campus" can refer figuratively to the faculty and the student body of a university. "Talk of the campus" means that everyone at the university was talking about it. Compare to "talk of the town."
If what you said is true, they made a serious mistake in the translation of the underlined part as it translates to "the speech done only in school". It seems dubious, so could you please take a look at the whole paragraph and rethink about it?

ex)I remember in high school a physician who came to talk to us about the dangers of smoking. He scared us with his grim pictures of smokers' lungs and tales of death from lung cancer. The doctor finished his speech by saying, "Remember, fire on one end, fool on the other" We were all impressed, especially those boys who would sneak out behind the shop building at lunch to light one up. But a couple of the guys saw the doctor himself lighting up when he got back in his car after the lecture. And his credibility was shot. His speech was just the talk of the campus. It would have been better for the no-smoking campaign if he had never come to speak. Saying one thing and doing another is something nobody respects.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If what you said is true, they made a serious mistake in the translation of the underlined part as it translates to "the speech done only in school". It seems dubious, so could you please take a look at the whole paragraph and rethink about it?

ex)I remember in high school a physician who came to talk to us about the dangers of smoking. He scared us with his grim pictures of smokers' lungs and tales of death from lung cancer. The doctor finished his speech by saying, "Remember, fire on one end, fool on the other" We were all impressed, especially those boys who would sneak out behind the shop building at lunch to light one up. But a couple of the guys saw the doctor himself lighting up when he got back in his car after the lecture. And his credibility was shot. His speech was just the talk of the campus. It would have been better for the no-smoking campaign if he had never come to speak. Saying one thing and doing another is something nobody respects.

It reads weird. I wouldn't put it like that.

But yes, the author means to say that the doctor was just giving a speech at the school but was not himself practicing what he preached.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It reads weird. I wouldn't put it like that.

But yes, the author means to say that the doctor was just giving a speech at the school but was not himself practicing what he preached.

Could you just tell me if "talk of the campus" means "speech for school" or "gossip or rumor of the entire people of school"? If it's the latter, why did it use "just" in "just the talk of the campus"?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Could you just tell me if "talk of the campus" means "speech for school" or "gossip or rumor of the entire people of school"? If it's the latter, why did it use "just" in "just the talk of the campus"?

Did you read my post above or should I re-post it?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Did you read my post above or should I re-post it?

As you first said it was "the rumor of the school", I was confused, so now it's clear your first assumption was kind of not right, so the second one "speech at the school" was right. Thank you for your endeavor!

Status
Not open for further replies.