Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Spain
What´s the difference in use between "in preparation of" or "In preparation for"? They seem both correct, but I can´t find out if there are differences in when uses which one...

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What´s the difference in use between "in preparation of" or "In preparation for"? They seem both correct, but I can´t find out if there are differences in when uses which one...
Welcome to the forums. Can you give a sample sentence containing "in preparation of"?

avandel

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Netherlands
Current Location
Spain
I am writing my curriculum and started to doubt about putting: "I did this course in preparation of my development work in Chile" o "I did this course in preparation for my development work in Chile".

I guess with of it means that the preparation is part of the result, like "in preparation of a meal", but in this case I´m not sure...
Do I make myself clear? Waiting for your reply...

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I am writing my curriculum and started to doubt about putting: "I did this course in preparation of my development work in Chile" o "I did this course in preparation for my development work in Chile".

I guess with of it means that the preparation is part of the result, like "in preparation of a meal", but in this case I´m not sure...
Do I make myself clear? Waiting for your reply...
Use "for".

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi avandel

As a NES, but not a teacher, perhaps an example might clarify the difference in usage:

I might say:
1) "I am involved in the preparation of a birthday surprise for my friend's birthday."
but
2) "I am involved in the preparations for my friend's birthday.,

i. e. in 1) you are actually preparing the surprise now, whereas in 2) you are preparing for something in the future.

Hope this helps
R21

yuqiaoran

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Ireland
Hi all:

I have been confused about the usage of expressions: in+n. Such as, in preparation, in use etc.

Can I say "I am in preparation of this project" or "I am preparing for the project"? Which one is correct? What is the logic when "in preparation" is properly used in a sentence?

Similarly, shall I say "I am in use of the book" or "I am using the book'?

Thank you!

Qiaoran

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forun, yuqiaoran. :hi:
Can I say "I am in preparation of this project" No or "I am preparing for the project"?
It depends whether you are preparing the project or preparing for the project - see the responses above.

Similarly, shall I say "I am in use of the book" No or "I am using the book'? Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.