Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
If there are a lot of competitors who are well-matched in a contest, what phrase can we use to express this idea?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
If there are a lot of competitors who are well-matched in a contest, what phrase can we use to express this idea?
You mean something better than "well-matched competitors"?

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It means that in a contest, all the competitors are with a special skill. If you want to be eminent above all others, you have to be really something of expert on the field. So that you can have the best chance to win the contest.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It means that in a contest, all the competitors are with a special skill. If you want to be eminent above all others, you have to be really something of expert on the field. So that you can have the best chance to win the contest.
Yes, I know, sorry. My question was, "Do you want a better phrase than 'well-matched competitors'? If so, why?"
I meant:
[Do] You mean [you want] something better than "well-matched competitors"?

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Yes, I want something better than 'well-matched competitors' because I want to know a more natural / idiomatic expression.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, I want something better than 'well-matched competitors' because I want to know a more natural / idiomatic expression.
My question also has the implication that "well-matched competitors" is quite a good phrase, and that I can't think of anything better or more idiomatic. Maybe someone else can.

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thanks a lot !

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To refer to a particular group of well-matched competitors, people (esp. sports commentators) often say 'the elite athletes'. But I agree with Raymott that no idiom springs to mind for the general concept.

b

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This is not exactly what you're asking for but if no one competitor has advantage, it can be called "a level playing field". This refers to the situation though, not to the competitors themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.